Self Drive Tour Operators Broome to Darwin

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 13:11
ThreadID: 101747 Views:2354 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Am looking at 2 week drive from Broome to Darwin using self drive tour operators (driving ourselves not tag along), although we are experienced 4WD'ers we do not have the time to drive up there and back form Melbourne. We would like to fly into Broome then travel off road as much as possible to Darwin.

I have looked at a couple of operators and they all seem to be similar in what they offer.

Has anybody done any of these tours and have any recommendations?

Happy to receive private messages if need be.

Thanks

Graham

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 15:56

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 15:56
Are you meaning hiring a vehicle Graham?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 509211

Follow Up By: Grizzle - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 16:37

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 16:37
Yes Motherhen, hiring Vehicle and organised accommodation or Britz style Troopy or similar, but with all permits and park entries organised. A typical website is www.blueytravel.com.au

There are a few that offer similar packages so I am looking for feedback from people who have used companies like that.

We are experienced 4 wheel drivers and travellers but just can't get the time to travel all the way there and back from Melbourne. Idea would be to fly to Broome, travel across to Darwin then fly back.

Cheers Graham

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 786977

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 18:24

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 18:24
Hi Graham,
A few years back before we retired and bought the Troopy we wanted to tour the Gibb River road and Kimberley region. We had limited available time so needed to fly to Broome and rent a camper van. We also had limited knowledge about the Kimberley area. A Google search led us to Bluey Travel.
Following a comprehensive interview by phone, they prepared a package based on the time we had available and what we were interested in. They organised the vehicle, first-night accommodation and everything for us other than air travel and food.
The provided portfolio contained a proposed itinerary and brochures, permits etc all bound in a folder. By following the itinerary we saw most of the best attractions and kept on schedule.
It cost a few bob but was worthwhile because we were time-poor.
I recommend Bluey Travel highly.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 509216

Follow Up By: Grizzle - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 23:02

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 23:02
Thanks Allan, their website looks comprehensive so I will follow them up.

Cheers graham

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 787014

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 09:04

Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 09:04
Hi Graham,
Without going into a lot of detail, I would make a couple of important points about the vehicle type you select for this trip.

On our trip with Bluey they offered a choice of vehicles from Britz. We chose the Bushcamper, based on a Troopy. It has the 'lifted' fibreglass roof. We found the bed arrangement not ideal and wished we had chosen the 100 Series Landcruiser with a roof-top tent. That vehicle does not appear to be an option any longer. The "Safari" offers only a tent for sleeping and the "Challenger" would look to be the best all-round with a lift-up roof for the bed. These vehicle options appear at the bottom of the Bluey website.

Other than Britz there would appear to be no other substantial 4WD hire companies in Broome. On several visits I have observed a number of small hirers but not with larger vehicles or substantial resources for backup.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 787034

Sponsored Links