Cambalin

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 23:23
ThreadID: 101769 Views:2201 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G-day Travellers has anyone camped at the Barrage at Cambalin . Just wondering how far it is off the Savanaha way. and can you camp at the Barrage or do you camp somewhere else. Any info is welcome cheers and safe travels.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 08crd - Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 23:35

Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 23:35
Haven't been there for years, put a gen set in, 1988.
Camballin was developed as a rice growing project, the Americans threw in a lot of money, but the Fitzroy river kept blowing it away.
The luny German tourist who was shooting everyone up, was caught there, if my memory serves me right.
There should be plenty of camping spots there, if you are self sufficient.
AnswerID: 509291

Reply By: Member - Ray Mc (WA) - Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 23:57

Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 23:57
Gday Duane

Lived in Camballin for a couple of years in the late 80's, the township is about 20km off the main road ... turnoff around 40km from the Derby T junction.
Passed through a couple of years ago and there were three main areas to camp:
~ Small caravan park at the old Camballin School (run by the Looma Community).
~ Cleared area at the Barrage (about 35 - 40 km from Camballin).
~ Cleared areas on southern side of Fitzroy River over the low level Myroodah Crossing (about 20km from Camballin). You will go past the Looma Community turnoff on the way.

Just to clarify, the German shooter (Joseph Schwab?)was shot only a few km from Fitzroy Crossing in 1987.

Fantastic place, stay a few days if you get the chance.

Cheers
Ray
AnswerID: 509292

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 18:46

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 18:46
You can camp at the barrage...we have several times..the area is not that big so half a dozen camps or 'vans crowds it..........pay a day visit here and see below

a better option would be to camp on the south bank of the Fitzroy over the Myroodah crossing (east side).......room to spread yourselves out......swim with care (the locals do at the crossing in the shallows)...catch a feed cherabin or a barra if your lucky

enjoy its a lovely area
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 509341

Reply By: Member - Duane A (WA) - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 22:31

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 22:31
Thanks very much for the info guys much appreciated ,we are looking forward to staying there on our way to the Ord river muster cheers.
AnswerID: 509352

Sponsored Links