RM Williams heading for the world stage

Submitted: Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 06:56
ThreadID: 101773 Views:2570 Replies:9 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Seems as though another Australian icon brand sold to overseas Luis Vitton group.

The Cowley family will retain 50.1% so all is not lost.

RM Williams sold

Wonder if RMW is rolling in his grave.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Terry W4 - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 07:36

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 07:36
Interesting to read this as I sit here having my morning cuppa wearing RM boots, moleskins with RM Williams belt and an RM Williams shirt.
AnswerID: 509301

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:04

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:04
Now you can get a nice "RM Williams" handbag and some luggage to go with that.
FollowupID: 787125

Follow Up By: Dr Hook - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 13:24

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 13:24
Yep; you really need robust boots & clothes sipping lattes in Canberra!
:)
FollowupID: 787154

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 09:53

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 09:53
Jeez Terry your game. Or is it just like the tide.
Cheers,Dave.
FollowupID: 787209

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 07:40

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 07:40
Hi Lyn

It's no wonder. We don't support out Aussie shops and iconic products. What do we want them to do. When a product or shop becomes uneconomical and need cash (not credit) to continue trading with they go where it's best for them. They put the hard yards in so why should they throw money away. And unfortunately the "money" overseas.

A good example of how we "don't" support the locals is Aldi. How many times do we see comments a even a whole thread dedicated to "get it at aldi". They are the cheapest. We have a greater proportion of the buying public that shop for price not the future. We are the same so we cannot complain. We shop at Woolies as well. Not IGA which is still Aussie. I hope!

But we are told that it doesn't matter because it's a "global market" now.

I wonder who else we will be rolling our eyes for. Sad.

Catchya

Phil
AnswerID: 509302

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:38

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:38
I will stand corrected.... but isnt IGA now owned by a South African crowd?
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 787121

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:05

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:05
Aldi is German.
FollowupID: 787126

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:41

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:41
IGA is a member driven buying group and is owned by the members who are on the board..... not one in particular person or company owns it.
FollowupID: 787138

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:43

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:43
You may be correct Tony. How do we really know. But we, my wife and I, try to keep our hard earned cash in Australia.

We wanted to visit a mountain range on a 1mil acre plus Australian station. In the process of getting permission (all good by the way) we ended up talking to the owners who are Saudis. Would you believe it.

Boobook I know.

That was my point and why we personally do not shop there. Sorry that I did not make that clear. We cannot do much about it but we try to support the Australian shop or business owner and buy Australian owned and made etc etc when we have a choice. And definitely not because of cost.

We even buy all our jams on line from JDs Jam Fatcory in Young. Note that we are just customers.

Phil
FollowupID: 787140

Follow Up By: Notso - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 18:59

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 18:59
JD's is not there(In the Piccy) anymore, it's now a Distillery "BlueStill". JD's has been sold and is now in a different spot. Still Young.
FollowupID: 787182

Follow Up By: Member - Michael J (SA) - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 22:17

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 22:17
Hi Phil,

I do not usually get involved with this type of post, however;

I read your comments with interest. You wish to support Australian/locals yet you shop at Woolies.
Metcash is indeed owned by OS interests; however it is not that simple. IGA branded stores are in the main owned by your average local Australian.
A quick research would have told you that this company originated in Australia and was eventually brought out by the South African based company Metcash.

Metcash/IGA>D are the suppliers of goods for all of your IGA stores. I reiterate that these stores are, in the main, owned and operated by local Australians. We have to purchase from Metcash, there is no other supplier.

For you, and others, that shop at Woolies/Coles please do not complain when there is no alternative… you are not shopping locally, nor are you supporting your local operator.

How do I know, I own an IGA branded, independently owned supermarket and if you wish for more information please send me an MM.

Rgds
MJ
FollowupID: 787190

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 23:51

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 23:51
Hi Michael

I was just trying to say that we try to shop local but sometimes for various reasons we do not. I used that german oowned place as an example because we do not shop there at all. And if possible would do the same to any foreignowned place. But when you only have a certain time on saturday mornings to plan the next fortnights meals, build up a shopping list from that and actually buy it before the sun goes down we do not have time to stuff around on the almighty internet and see who owns what. We just stay away from the ones that we know are foreign owned. eg we do not buy Kraft and prefer Dick Smiths stuff.

Some people who rave about the bargains at that German owned place do not seem to care. As do those who import directly from OS.

At least we try. Each to his own. But if you do purposely shop at OS owned places then don't complain when some iconic alternate shop to the OS one also goes goes fully OS. We also look for those Australian Produce etc tags. Wont shop at Cos_whatever_co either

I have RMW boots and shirts. Maybe made OS but at least purchased local.

Not complaining mate just unhappily accepting the fact that it's a global market.

Phil
FollowupID: 787198

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 00:13

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 00:13
I didn't know that. It's all done with emails and my wife does all that.

Catchya
FollowupID: 787199

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 01:17

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 01:17
olcoolone posted:

"IGA is a member driven buying group and is owned by the members who are on the board..... not one in particular person or company owns it."

So how does that help the topic. You didn't say whether the board members etc are Australian or OS. Should we shop there or not if we want to "buy Australian"?

Phil
FollowupID: 787202

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 07:48

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 07:48
Apologies PJR, I misread your Aldi comment. I slapped myself.
FollowupID: 787205

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 10:11

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 10:11
No worries BB. We all do that.

Did I got in a pickle on Thursday???? An obvious young bloke was after help for a Cape York trip and he started with the words "new to 4x4 big trips". Grammar was totally missing and word were out of place and little if any punctuation.

I took that statement as he was new to 4x4 and wanted go on a big trip Cape York and needed advice. I basically said go with someone or stay home until you have some experience. I was quite unnecessarily attacked by one bloke (mountain man) and then others who just followed his lead, believed him and obviously did not even read my post. I did clarify things but people like that wont read it all.

Aaaaagh I was so angry at the obvious ignorance. This young bloke was a bit of a hoon also and needed good advice because he had been "playing in the mud" as young ones do.

So have a good day and don't sweat about it.

Phil
FollowupID: 787212

Follow Up By: bockstar1 - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 11:33

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 11:33
IGA is a part of Metcash's Food and Grocery division. Metcash is listed on the ASX (not sure if it's on another overseas exchange). The owners of Metcash (and therefore IGA) would be the shareholders - retail and institution investors. Profits would be distributed to shareho

You want to ensure some of Metcash's profits remain in Australia, trot down to your local Broker and buy some shares.
FollowupID: 787223

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 08:08

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 08:08
Have to agree with Phil...... love to know how many on here has RM gear and do suport them.

We buy a lot of it as their manufacturing facility is just down the road from work.

When you compare prices they are no dearer and in many cases cheaper than other well know brands (except Target LOL) and they last a long time..... 3-4 maybe 5 years out of their jeans for example.

As for boots..... 20 years+ and the good thing is you can get them repaired or resoled by them direct.

Hopefully they will keep everything as it is and where it is made........ yes I know some of their cheaper lines are made overseas.
AnswerID: 509303

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 08:56

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 08:56
Most of RM Williams products are now sourced from Asia. Boots being the exception when I last looked...... but for how much longer?
A couple of years back both Roz and I purchased new rugged jackets. Her's an RM Williams made in China, mine a 'Bourke & Wills' made in Australia! Yes, it's sad. RM would certainly be rolling in his grave.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 509314

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:37

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:37
T shirts, some dress shirts, some jackets, some fashion accessories and some other low end low cost products are made OS..... they still make their leather belts, oil skins, some jackets boots, most pants and shirts here...... for how much longer is the question.

They went OS to be competitive in a lower cost market first with their T shirts and other stuff followed.

There use to be a member on here called BREW who worked and still does for RM Williams here in SA at Salisbury.

If you have a look on their site they will tell you if it is made in Australia..... if it has no origin of manufacture it's made OS.
FollowupID: 787136

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 13:47

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 13:47
Yes you are quite right Olcoolone. You must remain competitive or the consequence is you go out of business.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 787156

Reply By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:13

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:13
no surprise really, RMW stopped being "The Bush Outfitter" many years ago to concentrate on the big dollar yuppie market. (is yuppie still a word?) ...
You can buy better quality Australian workshirts and jeans from Blue dog for a hell of a lot less money. The boots are still ok if you need goin out boots..

Cheers
Al
AnswerID: 509319

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:20

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:20
Yes Al, I think "Yuppie" is still a word......... amongst our age-group anyway. LOL
Will you still serve me if I come in wearing moleskins?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 787117

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:31

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:31
hahaha yeah mate, I'll still serve ya..
I've still got me old moleys too ..
FollowupID: 787120

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 12:33

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 12:33
It is unclear from the article as to what was included in the sale.

I know they have feelers out for Inglewood Farms (the largest free range egg producer in Australia) or if the sale includes "Outback Magazine".

They "donated" the station in the NT for a reserve and the organic farm in Qld was up for sale at one stage.

The RM Williams Centre at Eidsvold is still going and worth a visit if in the area.
AnswerID: 509327

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 13:53

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 13:53
Lyn

Selling the business to overseas interests is a different issue to businesses buying more and cheaper imported products to sell.

Businesses that are sold to overseas companies are often because they are good investments and local investors either can't afford to , or are unwilling to pay what a international company can.

In this case RM is worth $50mill to LV, how many local investor would pay that amount?

Another way of looking at it is that the Cowley's now have $50mil to invest further in Australia to create jobs instead of a loesser amount. similarly all things equal, no job losses, transfer of manufaturing to other parts of the world, the Australian economy has just pick another $50 mil that has been imported into the country.

Alan

AnswerID: 509329

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 08:27

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 08:27
Wow, that is an optimistic view of how it may turn out Alan. I hope you are right. Unfortunately LVMH has a history of moving manufacturing to China and spending most of it's profit on marketing and copyright infringement litigation in the fashion side of their businesses. I hope that 50.1% share stays in place.

FollowupID: 787207

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 09:25

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 09:25
As i said, all things being equal, nothing stopping the current owners cutting jobs and sourcing from low cost countries.
Just making a point ownership and source of product are two different issues.
FollowupID: 787208

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 20:18

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 20:18
Gday
I have been wareing RM lace up boots to work every day for the last few years. very comfortable and wear well.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 509345

Reply By: howesy - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 20:40

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 20:40
Maybe they just know when to get out...I supported them for years but then more and more they were getting stuff made in China and the like and charging top dollar for crap that fell apart trading on the name.
Maybe LV will reintroduce the quality aspect of the R.M. Williams brand because it aint there no more,, my $300 boots fell apart after 12 months and clothing that was made overseas was poor quality.
AnswerID: 509346

Sponsored Links