Anyone help me with clutch adjustment on a 99 navara dual cab?

Submitted: Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 08:53
ThreadID: 101776 Views:6439 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all

Well as topic says I'm in need of adjustment of clutch on my 99 navara dual cab,
its the 4x4 with the qd32 4 cyl 3.2 normaly aspirated diesel.

Cant get manual for it anywhere, except bout $800 from Nissan, n that's not a go.

Need to try adjust the clutch, its not slipping but the take up is right at top of travel, so was wondering if anyone can advise on how to adjust it?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:15

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:15
If I was a betting man I would say your clutch is stuffed, it might be a good idea to find a good mechanic to do your maintenance and repairs...... if a clutch cable/rod is adjustable it's pretty easy to work it out.

Most clutches are non adjustable...... either they work or they don't....... if they don't then they are stuffed unless something else is causing the problem.

If a clutch cable has stretched it is usually hard to get into gears and you will get this crunching noise changing gears....... if you had a clutch cable and from the problem you have described it would indicate the cable is too tight or it has shrunk...

Stop on a hill and put it in fourth gear, give it some revs and see if it will pull away...... if it does you clutch is OK and if it slips it's past it use by date.
AnswerID: 509321

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 12:50

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 12:50
Thanks, but clutch is not stuffed, its perfectly functional, all Im looking for is adjustment.
FollowupID: 787149

Reply By: Member - Chris (QLD) - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:46

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:46
Hi Ron
Do a search for 99 navara service manual pdf in Google. The Navara forum has one on their site for downloading, try THIS link to the thread.

Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 509325

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 12:56

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 12:56
Hey thanks Chris,

That's awesome, just what I needed, I've not looked for one for a while, last search still wasn't freely available.

Its been a fantastic vehicle, hence why hanging onto it.

Anyway thanks a lot for your help mate, hit the thanks button

hoo roo
FollowupID: 787151

Reply By: Doc - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 16:50

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 16:50
Don't know about navaras, but usually the rod between the top of the clutch pedal & the back of the master cylinder (up under the dash) is adjustable for length. Cars I've worked on (Toyotas) have a lock nut that needs to be loosened, then an adjusting nut that turns in & out to change the length, which obviously changes the clutch take-up point. You need to lie upside down on the drivers seat with your head on the floor to get at it.

AnswerID: 509334

Reply By: toharves - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 20:09

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 20:09
Not being totally familiar with the Navara set up.I should ask how many Kms has the clutch done. If it is cable operated then adjusted should be straight forward. If the clutch is hydraulic it should not be adjusted at the push rod to master cylinder.The push rod will have free play too master cylinder piston.Check also for worn clevis or pin. If the slave cylinder push rod is adjustable ensure not to over adjust.Their must be no pressure between the release bearing and pressure plate.
AnswerID: 509344

Reply By: Ron173 - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 09:13

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 09:13
Thanks for replies n info, its cable operated AFAIK, will get under drivers seat n have a good look up under pedals n see what go is
AnswerID: 509368

Follow Up By: Mark&Sue - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 14:03

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 14:03
G'day Ron all you can do to adjust the clutch is just to make sure there is a slight freeplay at top of pedal whether that be cable or hydraulic operated. If it is cable there will either be an adjustment under bonnet where the cable protudes through the firewall or where it connects to the clutch fork at gearbox, if it is hydraulic you will need to crawl under dash and adjust the Master cylinder{clutch] pushrod clearance. But if you have slight freeplay {couple of mm}and clutch take-up is high up in the clutch pedal movement your clutch will be almost worn out unfortunately even though it is still working ok at the moment, it is like brakes all work good till the pads come in contact with the rotors then there stuffed. Unfortunate thing about the QD32 clutch is the price of kit plus it is a very awkward job to do, either engine out or torsion bars off then removal of gearbox. Goodluck.
FollowupID: 787234

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 10:29

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 10:29
stop messing around an put a clutch in it ,
all this advise on adjusting the pedal freeplay is barking up the wrong tree
mechpete
AnswerID: 509444

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 11:39

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 11:39
You heard the man...."its perfectly functional" LOL
FollowupID: 787331

Sponsored Links