Cool Trailer jack

Submitted: Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:33
ThreadID: 101778 Views:3514 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
This looks the goods for Campers with a solid axle. What a great design. Easy lifting and light jack.

I am sure this will be useful to lots of explorozerers

No affiliation etc and I haven't tried it. I have independent suspension :-(

Cool Trailer Jack

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:36

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:36
Hmm something strange with the link.

Cool Trailer Jack

Then click on Caravan Easy Jack on the left or scroll to the bottom.
AnswerID: 509324

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 14:44

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 14:44
Boobook,

Would be the ducks nuts on hard surfaces alright.

Have seen road train drivers use a similar principle to jack up trailer axles. They make up a jack stand, out of 3" or 4" RHS, with plates top & bottom, slightly longer than the height of the trailer axle. This is set up in front of the axle, and as the truck moves forward, the axle rides up onto the stand.

Works well on dirt or gravel, but badly lacerates any bitumen surface!!!

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 787168

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 15:20

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 15:20
OOh! I like that. Thanks for the heads up.
AnswerID: 509331

Follow Up By: toffytrailertrash - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 15:42

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 15:42
Believe it or not they have been around for years...and work well.

Cheers
FollowupID: 787172

Follow Up By: Derek Jones - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 22:30

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 22:30
Farmers have been using something similar to lift crates, bins etc off trucks. In farm world they are called 'Hobbs Hoists'

http://www.pederickengineering.com.au/HobbsHoists.php
FollowupID: 787191

Follow Up By: Member - OnYaBike - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 23:19

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 23:19
I was a young bloke in the sixties and we borrowed the mates' dad's homemade camper trailer for a trip to North Qld. He had made a similar jack which was very useful when we had to use it for a flat tyre.
FollowupID: 787196

Follow Up By: bigfellabrian - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 07:27

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 07:27
They are called a cooper crane in western qld, I have one in my work ute which I have used for years. Great invention one of the previous readers said about the road train drivers using them and he is spot on until some safety officer catches you as they are not rated.
FollowupID: 787204

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 08:01

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 08:01
An elegantly simple way of making your vehicle do the work. Now....how about one for lifting a wheel on a 4WD, preferably without damaging the brake lines?

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 509363

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 19:20

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 19:20
One more thing to cart around. For the amount of times you would be removing wheels on your trailer, you might be better off using the standard bottle vehicle jack. Maybe it's for the guy who has everything or the guy who want s to cart around everything? :)) Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 509401

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 07:56

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 07:56
Yeah you are right Michael, because you can't see a need for something for you, all the above posters and all others should not consider it.

I love comments like that, you have no interest in the content of a thread but feel the need to let everyone know that you have no interest.

You'd actually look smarter if you just made no comment though.

Or perhaps you could start a new thread listing all the things you don't like so we can all check it before we buy them. I would hate to go get something I really needed if you didn't approve.

FollowupID: 787297

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 08:37

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 08:37
Wow Boobook (is that your Christian name) You did get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning! You are probably more upset because I was the only one who didn't say that it was 'Cool'. Well although I didn't actually say that, I actually think it is a good idea BUT I merely mentioned that it might be better to use what is already at hand to save weight and space and have less gear to juggle. I would in fact have a use for it for my off road trailer, but do I actually need it? In future when you start a new post, I will make sure that I don't reply or I will definitely make sure that if I do, it will always be a positive one so as not to upset you.

I'm amazed at members like you who have been on this site for years who don't reveal their Christian name on the bottom of their post. Regards Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 787301

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 10:09

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 10:09
"I'm amazed at members like you who have been on this site for years who don't reveal their Christian name on the bottom of their post. Regards Michael,"

Is that another 'Michael rule' we should all follow. Sorry for having a nickname. You should address that with Exploroz, and get them to ban nick names.

I don't care if you buy none or a million of these or other things. I posted it up for people who may be interested, not for a poll. My point is why invest time in something you have no interest in?

Anyway. Back to your list.
FollowupID: 787313

Sponsored Links