Review: High Country - Corryong to Omeo

My Place Rating: My Rating 4/5

Fun track but don't do it in a AWD!!
We did it mid-March when the track was dry. Although it's beautiful and we saw plenty of people on the track for help the ground clearance of most AWDs would mean that this track simply isn't do-able. I did it in a Mercedes ML 320 CDi which has better ground clearance than most AWDs. While the off-road features of the car (LSP, better than average AWD mode etc) helped the car through some of the tricky bits the ground clearance was an issue (especially over the rocky bits) and the damage was so severe the car was a total write off. The creek crossings are also not too deep for a decent 4WD but most AWDs would struggle (the Merc did it but if it was lower it would have been an issue) without a snorkel.
Overall, it's a great track but not something you want to consider unless you have decent ground clearance. All in all we didn't see all the track (we got about 80KMs through it and the damage was so bad we crossed the Murray to get back onto the tar and into town to properly see the damage that had been done).
Just figured we would post this warning for others thinking about doing it in anything less capable than a proper 4WD (my mate was with me in his FJ Cruiser which didn't have an issue).
PS On the bright side it meant I have now purchased a Prado 120 VX Diesel and look forward to trying it again with the better 4WD.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Sponsored Links