Mounting hf auto tune antenna on bushcamper troopy

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 16:49
ThreadID: 101789 Views:2936 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know where is the best spot to mount an hf auto tune antenna on the back of a bushcamper troopy.(the one with a high fibre glass roof)
I believe you can buy a bracket that mounts to the spare wheel carrier.
Where can a buy one.
Or do I mount it some way on the fibre glass roof.
Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 17:48

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 17:48
There is a bracket available that mounts to the top two bolts on the spare tyre mount where it bolts to the door and it sticks out towards the RHS of the spare where you mount the HF antenna.
Sorry can't help with who makes it or sells it as I made my own and sold it with the troopy.
AnswerID: 509395

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 19:57

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 19:57
Try Here scotty
http://lakecomm.com.au/hfant&acc.html#mb

Stan
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 509405

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 20:00

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 20:00
Well that didn't work !
Another go
http://www.lakecomm.com.au/
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 787263

Follow Up By: Scott T4 - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 20:51

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 20:51
Thanks for the info.
Due to a rear awning I will be adding I might have to mount it on the fibre glass roof above the awning.The awning will get in the way if I don't do this.
I only just realised this tonight.
A mate of mine (I call him MR 4WD) suggested that I use a swivel clamp of a jockie wheel(jockie wheel removed) & make up a mount to weld to the swivel clamp.
It will be bolted to the rear face of the high top fibre glass roof with mounting plate on the inside of the roof for strength.
When not in use I will be able to turn the antenna 45 degrees & have it sit in a cradle with strap to hold it in with SS whip disconnected.
The more I think about this idea of my mate the better it sounds.
As I said I only realised the rear wheel mount will be no good due to the rear awning.
Does that sound like a good idea to you guys.
Thanks for your help
Scott
FollowupID: 787268

Follow Up By: Member - a convict - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 01:55

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 01:55
Hi Scott T4

..two cents worth, I'm strongly with Member Pinko and his Lakecomm suggestion. Lakecomm are experienced
people.

The bracket is manufactured by Kaymar(?). It will fit your Troopy just like a new one. The bracket
was originally designed to take tuneable HF aerial .and. a rear height adjustable spot/work light and mast.

On mine I use the square spotlight mast cutouts on the bracket to mount my Benelec 3G Telstra mast. The square extensible BFC gal tent pegs will fit in the cutouts perfectly and you will be very pleasantly surprised how well the Benelec and mast combo works on Telstra 3G/4G for phone .and. broadband.

One can run the Benelec at full legal height (4.2 metres (?)) 'on the move', if needed, and the set up can take a pretty decent 'knock too.

I have a rear canopy on mine and the antennas can be
a real pain. I have had my canopy cut, slotted, and re-stitched by a sail maker so it just slides over, around, then laced up (when stationary of course).

Now, I hear the purists out there say having two
vertical aerials so close together (300mm) 'is' an issue, and they are right, .. on all counts. It is.

But, if you are very careful about 'what' is turned 'on' and what is 'connected', and what is NOT, you can get away with the configuration. I do have UHF, but it is
way up front on the bull bar. Antenna is a heavy duty Z-Scalar and works real good.

I still do not have a decent rear work light, but interim
I am going to fit couple of aftermarket bayonet 50w LEDs in the Troopy reverser lights. Someone said they are around.

..cheers.
FollowupID: 787295

Reply By: Member - Chris (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 17:26

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 17:26
Have you thought about the bull bar? personally this is my prefered location.
Yes it blocks the passenges veiw but they get used to it, yes it may be illegal, although I have never had a problem and you see police cars with them mounted up front. The main advantage though, is that you can see it and when it is about to be destroyed by a low branch etc. Hate to think of what might happen if mounted on the rear of a fibreglass roof and you come across a low tree branch, servo roof, macca's drive through.
Just a thought
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 509483

Follow Up By: Scott T4 - Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 08:16

Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 08:16
Yes I have thought about the bull bar but my mate has had problems with the antenna stuffing up and needing repairs twice now so he is moving his to the back of his 4wd.
I don't know if you know how high a troopy bush campers fibreglass roof is.Mine is not a pop top.It looks like a Mr Wippy van.
I have to watch where a go anyway.
It's the same as a Britz bushcamper.
I believe fibreglass doesn't affect the antenna performance.
Is this true?
If this is the case then I can have the main part of the Barrett 510 auto tune antenna mounted below the top of the fibreglass roof.
The only part that will be above the fibreglass roof is the SS whip.
When not in use it will be folded down with the whip off & strapped onto a cradle.
I'm still don't know 100% which way I will go so the more info the better.

Thanks for the info everyone.
FollowupID: 787413

Follow Up By: Scott T4 - Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 09:16

Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 09:16
I just did a measurement & part of the main antenna will be above the fibreglass roof.
Sorry about the miss info in my last post.
I will be giving Lakecomm a ring & now I believe their mounts could be the way to go.
Thank you to Pinko & others on this forum for pushing this way.
Mounting the antenna with a Lakecomm mount does this affect the antenna performance?
Thanks
FollowupID: 787416

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (QLD) - Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 09:26

Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 09:26
Scott,
I was thinking of doing similar to you when I had the dual cab ute and mount the auto tune in the tray and have the whip only through and above the canopy.
But after reading the Codan forum and talking to the HF technician that I go to in Brisbane, that the main tuning part of the antenna needs to be in the open for good transmissions.
There was a good write up on the Codan forum about where some emergency vehicles had there auto tunes mounted to the utes between the cab and body, which caused very poor performance and had to be moved.
This is for Codan autotunes and may be different for Barrett.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

FollowupID: 787418

Follow Up By: Scott T4 - Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 09:30

Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 09:30
Plus if I use the Lakecomm Kaymar mount the pull out awning won't be affected with the whip off.
A big thank you again to you guys.
FollowupID: 787419

Sponsored Links