To snorkel or not to snorkel

Submitted: Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 23:02
ThreadID: 101825 Views:3831 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys, i have just recently bought myself a Toyota Hilux 1994 dual cab with the 2.8 litre ln106r diesel engine. She has around 270000 km with a few additions such as raised aftermarket suspension (not sure on much else about the suspension), uhf radio, winch, spotlights and some offroad tyres.

So basically my question is, to get a snorkel or to not get a snorkel. I would be getting one off eBay which will cost me around the $100 mark. I will be doing some off roading soon, as a go hunting in national parks and on farms so its mainly dirt tracks, nothing too tricky. I was thinking the snorkel might help out the fuel economy/power slightly? with the advantage of being able to cross deeper water. What is everyone's thoughts?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Batt's - Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 23:25

Monday, Apr 22, 2013 at 23:25
You can cross deeper water but remember if you plan to cross a deep creek or something put something the front of the vehicle to slow down water ingress to help protect your alternator and other electrical items. I gained about 0.5ltr per hundred km economy & a small power gain there definitely worth putting on . I no nothing about the cheap one's as long as they channel the water away correctly are made of sturdy plastic & is big enough to supply enough air I suppose it would be ok. I have only had tjm snorkels before and point the snorkel head forward the way they are designed to be used even in torrential downpours they won't suck water into your motor.
AnswerID: 509572

Reply By: mountainman - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 00:31

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 00:31
your biggest restriction is the air box air intake, no more than 50mm wide.
i cut that out and fitted a 3inch inlet, she breathes now, goes well for a 2h.

trouble with a snorkel you buy, they come with 2mtrs of hose to connect from the snorkel to the filter, reducing any benefits..
that was for my vehicle, landcruiser, maybe not yours.

you should be right without it, it will help the 2.8 breathe better, but still your stuck with the 2.8 power, or lack there of, mind you you got pretty good economy..

hilux's are generaly have high clearance from the factory, and youd have to be going into some deep crossings to drown an engine, or drive stupid across a river to do damage.

its only a 100 bucks soo yeah not much money to install some extra safety for your engine.
AnswerID: 509574

Reply By: Michaeljp - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 03:35

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 03:35
After 22 years, 2 hiluxs '89 model and a '96 model and nearly 1,000,000 km between the 2, the best thing to do to your hilux is put extractors on it. It will make more of a improvement than the snorkle will.
For deep water just disconnect the plastic pipe that comes out of the air box and goes into the intake. Its about 6 -7" long and you just need a large phillips head screwdriver to remove it. I did not have a snorkle on my 2 hilux's i just removed the plastic pipe i mentioned. For really deep water, put a blind infront of the radiator.
Their is nothing you can do to the 2.8 to more power out of it bar turbo, the extractors will help it breathe a bit better,just change oil every 5000km religously and oil filter every 10000km and you should get another 270000km out of it.
AnswerID: 509575

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 07:19

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 07:19
My son has a mazda 2004 and while he was out 4x4 driving and needed to cross water on the track. It was only about up to the hubs but he hit it a bit hard and splashed water into the wheel arches and such. Bang - filled the air intake which happens behind the headlight in the wheel arch and stopped the engine with major damage to the turbo.

We emptied all the water out then and there but the turbo had bend all the fins over so it need replacing.

Not really that much water. If you can afford it then they are a good idea in Australia even for getting cleaner air from higher up.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 509581

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 08:31

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 08:31
oliver,

Just to add a few more points about a snorkel for the Hilux.

When a snorkel is fitted to the 2.8 motor it always resinated as though the dash was going to fall off. There was no real fix to the problem except for fitting a turbo.

$100 of eBay for a snorkel is cheap, and unless you are going to fit the snorkel yourself it will cost you more to fit it. The trouble with some of the cheap snorkels is that they do not fit the guard and the template that is supplied is not that good.

If you are going to fit a snorkel for water crossings, which most drivers do, don't forget to fit diff breathers.

Wayne
AnswerID: 509587

Follow Up By: Hilux fan - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 15:58

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 15:58
I had a Safari snorkel fitted to my 1993 Hilux and it resonated when fitted. I fixed it myself with the judicious wedging of bits of rubber mat, plus ensuring all the attachment screws were tightened up. Definitely improved the power and economy, so worthwhile just for that.
FollowupID: 787752

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 18:00

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 18:00
Don't buy a cheap snorkel, they crack, don't usually fit the guard, the brass inserts pull out and many of them are made up of fiddly bits that u have to make sure you seal up properly. Buy a genuine or Safari or a well known brand. Probably the cheap ones have not been tested for sufficient flow! Ebay is a good place to look for a quality bargain. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 509618

Reply By: Member - KEITH W (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 18:15

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 18:15
yes, get a snorkel
AnswerID: 509620

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 19:01

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 19:01

If you do stuff like this, then yes :-)

Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 509623

Follow Up By: edwin - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:07

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:07
Hi Tony, is that the track to lookout point, that some long crossing from memory,crocs too apparently , I chickened out of that one due to no snorkel.
Ed
FollowupID: 787597

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 17:29

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 17:29
Edwin - You are correct

RegardsTony
FollowupID: 787643

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:20

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:20
Before we purchased a 4WD we researched the types of terrain and crossings that we may encounter. The one crossing that convinced me to get a snorkel was Nolans on the tele track on Cape York. When we crossed it the water was lapping over the bonnet. Maybe I could have disconnected the inlet to the air filter etc etc. But it was so easy just to stick the water blind on (two straps to the mirrors) and just drive across.

We are happy that we did. Less dust into the filter as well when on the dirt roads and tracks.

A bit like insurance I suppose. Some never have accidents. Some do. We chose to fit the snorkel as insurance. Happy.

Phil.
AnswerID: 509659

Sponsored Links