clutch hi lux 2012

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:38
ThreadID: 101829 Views:1790 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
we have only done 19000 k's on how hi lux 3lt diesel manuall .we have one major trip up to gulf country towing a full van not one bit of trouble never putting stain on drive line ever .now just running to work and back about 50k's a week.
Now the clutch is slipping all be it 3 times it should not happen.It is at toyota now and they are going to repair it ,but are saying its were and tear.19000k's i dont think so i have been driving long distance trucks for 45yrs still driving a b double fuel tanker done 1,400000 same clutch....love to here if anyone else has had any problems
Regards
bill powell
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:27

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:27
Don't know about Hiluxes but other Toyota's have had similar problems as the engines power and torque outputs increase and overcome the existing drivetrain.
Coasters had a similar problem a while back when the turbo intercooled 4 cylinder engines were fitted to the Oz spec vehicles. We had occasion to hire one on different occasions when our school bus was off the road and on one particular steep hill the clutch would often slip as you changed into a higher gear with a full load. On questioning the hire companies (three different ones) they all said the same thing, "How many k's has that bus got on it ?" Funnily enough all had around 30k or multiples thereof and all three companies said they routinely fit new clutches at approximately the 30k mark as Toyota refused to acknowledge there was a problem and they couldn't afford to have the buses off the road in a protracted fight to get them done under warranty.
If you are a member of RAA, NRMA etc I'd get them to go into bat for you which is what I did way back in 1982 over a troopy with a slipping clutch that they reckoned was fair wear and tear at 15k kms!
Nothing has changed it would seem ;-))
AnswerID: 509600

Follow Up By: Member - bill & netti p (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 13:09

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 13:09
thanks Peter waiting to here from toyota
FollowupID: 787523

Follow Up By: garry r - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 17:48

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 17:48
hi there bill
not a problem with my clutch as yet - 27k but i don't tow. Been outback and sandy conditions, mud no prob. All up laden weight 2.900tonne. Thanks for the advice as my service mech reckons to me me no problems in the near future at this stage for me. As ozhumvee i also drive heavy transport and not harsh on clutches. I have been told the toyota clutch is not real brilliant, and been advised that a heavy duty clutch and pressure plate will be installed by my mech when required. My lux is only 18months old, and apart from its first service at toyota, it has not seen them since as warranty is still valid as long as i use genuine parts. Also to much mods and that deletes warranty on various items

good luck
FollowupID: 787560

Reply By: braggy - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 19:38

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 19:38
Not a bad habit to put it in low range when backing the van around,
alot easier on the clutch and easier all round

I have smelt quite a few Hiluxs with burning clutchs in the soft sand

Cheers Ken
AnswerID: 509627

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 20:07

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 20:07
Hi Bill,

Same on my 2011 hilux Just paid $800 to get a heavy duty clutch put in. Its woeful that Toyota do this. I only tow a 1950kg (as weighed on a weigh bridge) caravan.

You expect at least 300,000km out of a clutch not the misely amount I got.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 509628

Reply By: Andrew(WA) - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 22:05

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 22:05
Bill
I've heard 2 stories similar to yours and thought Toyota had fixed the later models by upgrading the clutch from factory.

Not sure what date the this took affect but the ones I know of all developed issues at similar Km's to yours and were replaced with Prado clutches no charge...my understanding is the Prado clutch is a superior unit but fits retrospectfully straight into the Hilux.

If you've got a 2012...I would of thought it would have the upgrade but??? maybe not.

it's worth quizzing Mr Toyota about to see when the upgrade was done. If you don't have the upgrade...demand the new one for free...I know others have.

If on the other hand you have the upgrade with the issues you outlined...disregard this reply!!!
AnswerID: 509636

Reply By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:15

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:15
Hi Bill.
Mine is a 2005 model. Clutch was faulty from the day i got it and took a change of service manager to get it fixed at 50000klms. When i went to pick up the car with the new clutch it was undrivable and they had to fit another one the next day. They said they had test driven it but you could not even drive out of the work shop. I thought they had upgraded them. Had not towed anything up to then they tried to make out my car was to heavy. To be honest i recon toyota will tell you anything if they think they can get away with it. There is an old post listing the things that were not right with mine.
Cheers Graeme.
AnswerID: 509663

Reply By: 530 - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 11:37

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 11:37
I have 2010 hilux and have had the same problem at 47,000 klms. First noticed it when reversing out of soft sand to get a run up to get off the beach. then a coupe of days later again reversing in soft sand. Googled the problem on the way home and read that Toyota warranty applied, etc [we have al read numerous blogs on the issue].

Took it Toyota and the customer service guy said that it was bs that it was a common problem and bs that Toyota replaced clutches under warranty unless the pressure plate [or was it the clutch plate] was worn,indicating a manufacture problem. He also said that the problem is the soft feel of hilux clutches, being designed to feel like a family wagon than a 4x4 offroad vehicle. Somewhat perversely to me, he said Prados had a fair dinkum 4x4 cutch.

He also said that one should engage low range to reverse because most people use the clutch regulate speed when reversing. I said of course I never do that [ride the clutch].

In reality, I think my riding the clutch in reverse is what caused the problem. However to my surprise the clutch was replaced under warranty, and he said they tried to fit a Prado clutch but it wouldn't fit. If this was true, it was a fairly generous gesture as he quoted it at the outset of being an additional $800 or thereabouts.

So, don't give up on the warranty replacement if you haven't yet had it replaced
AnswerID: 509828

Reply By: Lefty - Friday, May 03, 2013 at 18:57

Friday, May 03, 2013 at 18:57
Plenty of Hilux issues discussed in "Newhilux". As an owner I find it very helpful in trouble shooting and finding what others have experienced or what to look out for.
AnswerID: 510258

Follow Up By: Lefty - Friday, May 03, 2013 at 19:00

Friday, May 03, 2013 at 19:00
The general consenus being it is a gear ratio problem more than a clutch problem.
The Prado clutch upgrade is a larger diameter flywheel and clutch plate, hence larger surface area.
FollowupID: 788352

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, May 03, 2013 at 19:24

Friday, May 03, 2013 at 19:24
Bill,
I can see you are a good operator and look after the gear. So this is what I observed with the Lux and I see others have as well.

We had Luxes at work and one of the first things I noticed was the lack of grunt in first gear. That gear was way to high for a small turboed motor as you would have to give it some to get a bit of torque up to take off even on a small incline.

I don't know if this is what caused your problem. There were no problems with the clutches at work. Then they weren't towing a van.

Hope your outcome is good.
AnswerID: 510263

Sponsored Links