Insurance on hire vehicles

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:37
ThreadID: 101848 Views:1861 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Planning on hiring a 4x4 from Darwin in a few month. The price is ok, but if you don't want a $5000 excess you pay a heap for insurance.
Too dear to have, but you cannot afford not to get it.
Just wanted to vent my frustration.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:16

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:16
There are travel insurance products from the vehicle clubs like RACV that cover hire vehicle excess. Heaps cheaper than what the rental companise offer.

AnswerID: 509664

Follow Up By: wato35 - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 13:13

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 13:13
Thanks, I will have a look at that.
FollowupID: 787608

Follow Up By: PeterInSa - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 13:56

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 13:56
Agree with wato35, previously i would rent a vehicle in Brisbane get insurance, plus windscreen plus under body but could not cover hail damage.

Additional premium on our RAA cover for our Cruiser covered rental cars plus hail damage for a lot lot less, at least this was the position around 18 months ago.

Peter
FollowupID: 787615

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 15:30

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 15:30
Peter Something that you may want to check.

Put our car into the panelbeaters for a two week job. The insurance supplied a car. A stupid little Corolla at not cost and with full insurance.

Why "stupid". Easy! We are at home and the 4wd lleft at the workshop by myself was empty. No luggage etc to carry home. Now put us in woollamakanka with a full car including luggage, tools, GPS etc etc etc. And for good measure add a couple of young kids with their "extra" reading, games and ipod stuff. Where does it all go. Next time I renew I will discuss the type of vehicle stipulated in the "hire vehicle option. And we will renew with the same mob because we are happy with the insurance as a whole.

Worth thinking about mate.

Phil
FollowupID: 787630

Reply By: Rangiephil - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 17:32

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 17:32
And then there was the story that had everyone talking when I was on the GRR.

Apparently a European couple rolled their rented Hilux camper on the Mitchell Falls track and the woman was frantic to hitch a ride back to the nearest phone at Drysdale to cancel her credit card before the hire company found out about the rollover.

The story as told was that there was a clause in the insurance that excluded a one vehicle rollover. I don't know whether the hilux camper was supposed to be on that very DIRT road .

Although the incident was supposed to have happened on the same day we were there and is not eligible for a Snopes entry , I wonder if any companies exclude rollovers or whether the couple were concerned about the Excess.

Maybe the lady from Drysdale can confirm or deny , as they would have probably had to recover the Hilux. This was 3 years ago August.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 509675

Reply By: Pathycop - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 18:56

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 18:56
Have a look at 1cover travel insurance to cover the excess and other stuff. I have used them several times and worked out cheaper.

Graeme
AnswerID: 509687

Sponsored Links