Petrol Tank Repair - JB Weld

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 11:00
ThreadID: 101872 Views:2387 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Happy ANZAC Day to all. Just wondering if anyone has any experience using JB Weld steel epoxy to repair a weep in a petrol tank. I have a 23 year old Nissan Pintara wagon, 140km round trip work commute hack, and where the filler neck is sweated in to the tank it is weeping. The weep evaporates as fast as it weeps so the there is no drips as such but it stinks of petrol fumes when I fill the tank above that level until consumption drops the fuel level below the filler neck again. Whilst I intend to fix the weep I do not want to go through the pus and pain of removing the tank, filling it with water, hot soldering the filler neck, ensuring all the water is removed and re-installing the tank. With some of the reputable automotive repair products available today removal of the tank seems an unnecessary chore. I have read some posts on the net re good results using JB Weld and just wondered if anyone here has had personal experience using it. I have the next 4 days off work so it will have ample time to cure.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 13:16

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 13:16
if you solder it
you won,t have to fill it with water as long as you use the old fashion soldering iron
,keep the gas or flames away ,have repaired several tanks over the yrs an works well
cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 509744

Reply By: kev.h - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 18:05

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 18:05
Have a look at a product called rapid fix should come up on Google
A guy came around work promoting it said it will fix anything when questioned how effective it was he lifted the bonnet on his car removed the radiator cap stuck a pocket knife through the radiator hose then proceeded to repair it - there were several previous repairs also had a dozen holes drilled and repaired in the top radiator tank from previous demos
I figured if he was that confident in the product it must be OK I don't leave home without it these days Its the best fix all I've ever had - not cheap at $30.00 but if it does the job
And no I don't have any affiliation with the company
Kev
AnswerID: 509763

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 09:58

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 09:58
I just bought it, I haven't ever used it though, but going buy the videos it looks like it would be something that could come in very handy.
http://www.rapid-fix.com/HOME.html

You could also use some "Rescue Tape" it is supposed to be resistant to fuels. http://www.rescuetapeaustralia.com.au/

I purchased both from Opposite Lock.
FollowupID: 787809

Sponsored Links