in dash navigation system

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 17:29
ThreadID: 101878 Views:2945 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Gday every body, I'm looking for a two din in dash gps / radio / reversing camera etc.,
To suit a 76 series cruiser.
I would prefer a good quality unit, rather than something that wont last
Also what maps would I require and any other relevant info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Garth
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Greenleader 13 - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 20:01

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 20:01
howdy Garth

I've got an Orion AVR 6.1 (google it an it will come up) in my old Narava and its been pretty good, had it for about 1.5 years, maps are good, radio good, cost expensive but got it on special. Will get another one soon for my new Prado if it fits.
Not sure it will fit but they say the holes for the radios are standard!

good drinking
AnswerID: 509777

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 20:08

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 20:08
We have a VMS unit that we purchased three years ago. We run Oziexplorer on it with a store of around 6Gb of maps. It has all that you want and the support I have received is top quality. It has a touch screen and I misaligned it with my fat fingers while stuffing around redesigning the from screen of Oziexplorer. They fixed it for nothing. ZIP. NIL. Shipping cost me $15. Removal and refit by the local BDL store cost me $50. VMS = nil. As you can see it is excellent after sales service. They have given me operating advice several times as well via email and again grats. And it's way our of warranty.

It is fully integrated with the cars entertainment loom and speakers. It has all the ipod, USB, Aux audio and vide input as well as a designated reversing camera. Blue tooth works a treat. We used it once and tossed the phone back in the drawer at home. I hate the mobiles myself. No use for them. But the Blue tooth is there if you want it.

For GPS it comes with Moving Map off road navifgations and Igo street navigation. We payed a few dollars extra and got Ozi. Both for the car and the home PC for planning.

Like I said. Not the cheapest but we are very happy with it.

I wouldn't have a stand alone windscreen stick-on or tablet or laptop for quids in the cabin that could fly around and knock your brains out. No matter how it is mounted unless it is secured in the dash that is designed to accommodate such items. But others are welcome to their opinions and also to do their own thing. We just had a $11000 slide along a rock wall and realise how important it is to secure things inside the car.

Phil
AnswerID: 509779

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 20:18

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 20:18
Mean't to add this. No it's not turned on.

FollowupID: 787774

Reply By: justouring - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 22:31

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 22:31
For the last 3 years I have used a unit from Digoptions and love it. Also comes with topical maps ! Its not that expensive
AnswerID: 509794

Follow Up By: Hunjy100 - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 15:52

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 15:52
Ditto to dig options plug and play gps,bluetooth, reverse camera etc.
I have ozi and use a heap of maps loaded on mini sd card.
It just works with no freezing but the glare when the sun hits the screen at a certain angle can be annoying but that would apply to a lot of others as well.
Mal
FollowupID: 787833

Reply By: Racey - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 10:15

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 10:15
David Brash at Brash Imports has wide units to suit Toyota models. I found his units very good and will take Ozieplorer.

Cheers

Jon
AnswerID: 509820

Sponsored Links