NW Pajero Vs Y61 Patrol

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 23:31
ThreadID: 101881 Views:8301 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Help!!! I cant decide on which new vehicle to purchase.
Ruled out our original thoughts of a Pathfinder but narrowed it down to the VR-X Pajero and the ST Patrol. Either way it will be diesel and auto.

I have owned a GU patrol previously but have not had a 4x4 in almost 10 yrs. (Can't wait any longer!!)

Now that I have a young family, there will be no serious off-roading done but we still want to explore as many places as we can in our limited time away from the big smoke, and lots of highway touring.

Am leaning towards to Paj (so many extra features) but know how capable my previous Patrol was. Drove a new 3.0 Patrol today and it was just like old times, however the Auto gearbox did seem a little clunky. (She who must be obeyed insists we get Auto)

Interested to hear from owners of both for your thoughts.

Thanks for your help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dazza62 - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 00:38

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 00:38
Nothing wrong with a Pajero Lester. Have had no issues with my NS VRX Auto Diesel with over 130,000 kms now on the clock.

If I may suggest two things to consider with the VRX. It has a rear AC Unit that will restrict options with long range fuel tanks and roof racks and has 18 inch rims that will restrict your choice of tyres and those that are available are expensive.

Other than those two things I wouldn't change anything on mine.

AnswerID: 509795

Follow Up By: Lester77 - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 08:21

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 08:21
Yes I did some research on the 18" tyre options and was a bit concerned about lack of choice.

Did find BFG A/T's for over $600 a pop. Ouch.

Not intending to fit a long range tank, but roof racks maybe! Excuse my ignorance but what is the issue with the racks and rear A/C? Is it the vents in the rear roof lining? Noticed the patrol had these as well.
FollowupID: 787797

Follow Up By: awill4x4 - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 08:28

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 08:28
I have the same NS VRX as Dazza and I'm very happy with going back to a Pajero.
The new NW Pajero's have more power and torque than our NS models and will simply drive away from equivalent Patrols and Prado's on normal bitumen touring.
They don't have the the absolute 4x4 credentials of the Patrol but their traction control system is up there with the best of them and gets it places that surprise many people.
The video below gives an idea of just how capable the traction control system is on an earlier NP Pajero.
Dancing Pajero
Suspension upgrades are available and indeed would be recommended but that applies to any new 4x4.
As Dazza said try and get the Pajero with 17" wheels rather than the 18" ones as there is a far greater range of tyres available and cheaper in pricing as well.
Regards Andrew.
FollowupID: 787798

Follow Up By: Tate1984 - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 09:02

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 09:02
You have a few options for A/T's. Bridgestone D697's have been getting some good reviews. Cooper also make an 18" in OEM size. Have a look on the Pajero Club Vic forum and there is heaps of info.

Not sure what dazza62 means by having limited options for roof racks? I have the rear aircon in a NS and it has no effect at all. Just install the rack of your choice on the factory rails.
Cheers

FollowupID: 787804

Follow Up By: dazza62 - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 09:57

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 09:57
The factory rails are limited to carrying from memory around 80 kg. Without the AC ducts in the headlining you can upgrade the roof carrying capacity.

FollowupID: 787808

Follow Up By: NTVRX - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 18:17

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 18:17
I purchased a Aux fuel tank from LRA in Victoria 60 ltrs due to the second a/cond unit taking up rear space (I own a VRX) I have a cruising range of 1500KM depending on conditions. I bought a set of BFG T/A L/T tyres from Tire Rack,Michigan U.S.A last year (18" rims) for $238 each shipped from the states via Fedex. Tire rack arranged everything & tires arrived 6 days later. I have after market roof racks fitted (Vehicle comes standard with roof rails) I do not carry any thing heavy (Limited to 80Kg as suggested by Mitsubishi) just stuff I cannot fit inside the vehicle like conjute.
FollowupID: 787856

Reply By: Lester77 - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 09:15

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 09:15
Thanks for the info. Great video!
AnswerID: 509814

Reply By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 11:45

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 11:45
We've had a GU2.8, Jeep Cherokee, Landrover Discos, NP Pajero Diesel, and now back to a GU7 TI CRD. The luxury of a packaged vehicle for the earlier years! The Pajero and Patrol are the only ones I would "own" out of warranty.

We've gone back to a Patrol over the Pajero primarily because we have three kids, two of whom are now teenagers. The third row in the Pajero is a bench seat - up or down. When up, the whole of the luggage space is taken up. With the Patrol, we have one seat removed and use the remaining one to split the kids up. This leaves half the luggage space available.

We have a Trak Shak camper, get out a fair bit and use 4WD but there was no where that we've traveled to that the Pajero wouldn't have gone that the Patrol could. In both, the addition of rear airbag suspension assistance is a must (if you don't do a suspension lift). The addition of robust protection plates to protect the intercooler on the Pajero is essential though if you're going to tackle anything beyond gravel. A stump in the grass of a paddock brought the existing piece of tin into contact with the IC before I changed to a Bushskinz version.

However, the Patrol is far less user-friendly in Melbourne's CBD despite not being much bigger than the Pajero.

BTW, the auto is the only way to go with both. Much better suited to the small diesels and in the Patrol, revs lower at highway speeds. A chip for the Patrol really helps with drivalbility.
AnswerID: 509830

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 11:51

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 11:51
I would go the Pajero over the Nissan, the Pajero you can live with day in and day out.

The only place the Patrol would win is if you wanted to set it up for extreme 4x4ing..... everything else the Pajero will do easily and in comfort...... and a 5 yr 130k factory warranty is a bonus.

Getting into the nitty grittys...... the Pajero is built on a passenger vehicle platform where by the Patrol is built on a commercial vehicle platform, the Pajero is built more car like using car techniques and the Patrol is built pretty agriculturally BUT it doesn't make one weaker or stronger.

We see more Patrols in our workshop with problems that should of been addressed years ago by Nissan but haven't, Pajaros are harder to pull apart and fit accessories to.
AnswerID: 509832

Reply By: mountainman - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:08

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:08
its a shame you knocked off the pathfinder, especialy the 550..
what a donk that is, and good on fuel too.

im a cruiser man but damn that 550 has it over the toyota 4.5 v8 diesel.

not real keen on the 3ltr nissan, but damn they realy have no idea what numbers theyd pull if they threw the 550 in the patrol, certainly nearly double their current sales id reckon !!

you cant realy beat the pajero with the 5 / 130k warranty, that should be standard on all vehicles.

its a shame hyundai dont still make the terracan, very underated, and soo cheap to buy..
AnswerID: 509833

Reply By: NTVRX - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 18:08

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 18:08
G'day Lester, We have a 2009 VR-X auto diesel & tow a 2.7tonne full van. I think our Pajero is the best touring/towing vehicle we have ever owned. I have driven my mates 2010 auto diesel Patrol & compared to the power/torque of the Pajero it is gutless. IMHO. The patrol for along time has opted for the 3 ltr diesel,the earlier models had motor problems & were 115KW....thirteen years later they are still only 118KW!! IMHO not enough grunt for towing. With the auto you can only tow 2500KG so, down the track if you decide to buy a van you will be limited to what you can tow. Have a look at Red Book.com.au via Google and compare specs and standard features of both vehicles if you haven't already. Also,if you want to know a little more about the Pajero the Victoria Pajero Club website is a handy place to ask questions & read what fellow Pajero owners are experiencing. You will love the Pajero a very safe & capable vehicle. Good Luck Robert.
AnswerID: 509851

Reply By: skilbys - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 21:36

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 21:36
Hello all, as a side note, how would the Pajero compare to say a series 3 Disco which we were considering for my wife's next ride.
I have a Triton at the moment so can vouch for the capabilities of Mitsubishi vehicles
AnswerID: 509868

Reply By: Lester77 - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 22:48

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 22:48
Thanks all for your help. Have today ordered a 3.2 VR-X in Ironbark. Only option from factory will be the tow bar as all other accessories will be obtained after market. (Less FBT as vehicle will be leased).

Do you know if it is possible to fit BFG 265/65R18's on as the standard size is 260/65, and I have been told there is limited clearance already under the arches.

AnswerID: 509870

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 12:45

Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 12:45
Can't help you with those tyre specs or brand as I "traded up" to R17s when I bought my VRX, the dealer switched them over to a lower spec model on the factory floor.
Clearance is worst (least) at the bottom of the front airdam skirt when of full lock. Mostly cosmetic plastic stuff, but mind you even when wheels are pointed straight they can pack up when on heavy wet clay.
IF you have a roo bar fitted, then they cut most of the air dam away and clearance improves significantly.
Looking at my vehicle with it's 265/65/R17 Bridgestone Duellers, you should be able to still fit those 260/65/R18s OK if you have the air dam removed with a roo bar.
FollowupID: 787906

Reply By: allein m - Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 15:05

Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 15:05
while doing some research i found some had a problem with opening the back door with a caravan on tow has that problem been solved?
AnswerID: 509893

Sponsored Links