Loading POI's onto VMS touring 500 GPS

Submitted: Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 14:18
ThreadID: 101890 Views:2941 Replies:5 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
HI,
I am hoping that some one has had some success loading 3rd part POI's onto a VMS 500 GPS. I have one and have downloaded the POI file "ozcamps.gpx" from the OZ Camps site. I have had a quick look on the VMS site but can't see anything there that will help.
Any help would be grateful.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 15:24

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 15:24
I don't know about the VMS but most GPS units require some sort of program installed on the computer to do it.
AnswerID: 509839

Follow Up By: ChrisK - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 15:29

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 15:29
Notso,
Thanks for the reply. I suppose that's part of what I am trying to find out. I found a poi editor for Garmin but doesn't seem to work on VMS. I suppose I am trying to find out the steps needed to be able to do this from someone who has already done it. I have also posted a question to the guys at VMS support but no answer at this stage.
FollowupID: 787830

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 07:59

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 07:59
I believe that street navigation on the VMS units is done with Igo. That's the program that Notso was talking about. It is not a VMS program so look for your points of interest for Igo.

Phil
FollowupID: 788130

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 21:13

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 21:13
Hi ChrisK
I have a 500 and I could not load any other info from another company.
When I went to Oziexplorer I put another card in with a new program.
I download from Exploroz then upload to GPS.
For me to explain in full detail here sorry
Cheers
AnswerID: 509867

Reply By: tteksep - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 01:24

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 01:24
Go to naviextras.com and see if your model GPS is in their list. If so, I think they have a solution to convert your POIs to a format that you can load into your GPS. I can't recall what it is and it's very late now and I should be in bed, but have a look around the site and see what you can find. I've got to extract mine from a Garmin and put them into a VMS700HDs II so I'll be doing the same as you shortly. Not sure if your GPS is supported so have a look.

Cheers

Tony
AnswerID: 510079

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 10:11

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 10:11
I think the Itopo program on the VMS 500 is really Memory Map for CE. And the VMS 500s is Mudmaps just to confuse you.

If you load an overlay which is MMO type then it probably is Memory Map.

You can download memory map for free and a trial of maps for 10 days, though I am not sure if the free version can convert from GPX to MMO. The paid version can for sure. You could also use it to merge your new POI with the existing marks, tracks etc on the one file too.

Alternatively there is a free PC program called GPSbabel which will convert any GPS file type to anything. Import your GPX file then export it as a Memory Map MMO. Try loading that on the SD card.

If this doesn't work log into 4wdaction's forum in the GPS section. VMS support occasionally appear there, however their reputation for responding to support issues in any form ain't the best. They claim they have changed. It will be interesting to see

Good luck.
AnswerID: 510108

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 10:32

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 10:32
Boobook

I think that this bloke is just talking about street navigation. I believe the VMS uses Igo, but cannot confirm it because the car is at the workshop.

For the other stuff, you left me for dead with all the acronyms and abbreviations. But that's fine. No complaints.

We also dumped Memory Map from the VMS and loaded Ozi.

As far as customer service is concerned they have just fixed a "fat finger" problem for me for free and updated all on board software and the SD card as well. And in a three day turn around. One day to get there, one day to pass through their place and one day to get back here.

I stuffed up the screen edges with my fat fingers on the touch screen. My fault entirely. Stupid. I pulled up the screen configuration screen accidentally and instead of just opting out, silly me continued and got them wrong.

I certainly do not have any complaints.

I think that we may have had this conversation before.

But just putting a counter claim against your service claim.

People need to see both sides.

Phil
FollowupID: 788146

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:14

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:14
Thanks for that Phil.

I must admit I have never had a VMS and have no personal experience with them other than seeing an extraordinary no of complaints from users on GPS forums. I was simply going by 4wdactions GPS, 4x4earth and gps Australia forums and feedback, on the basis of where there are multiple smoke sources, there is fire. Maybe not.

I doubt that we have had this conversation before, as generally I have no interest in VMS, but saw something about it recently when I was looking up a Memory Map POI issue, hence my reply.

If my reply was of use to the Op great, it was just based on something I picked up recently.

FollowupID: 788148

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:16

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:16
No worries mate.
FollowupID: 788149

Follow Up By: ChrisK - Friday, May 03, 2013 at 14:08

Friday, May 03, 2013 at 14:08
Graeme,

Got your email and the file and instructions. I'll give it a go over the weekend.

Thanks, once again.
FollowupID: 788332

Reply By: ChrisK - Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 08:17

Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 08:17
Firstly, thanks to all of your for your advice and comments. I must admit I am no closer to understanding how this can be done. What I have learned is that there is a POI folder on the SD card and yes it's the poi's in the street nave that I was hoping to add the camp sites to. I did post the question on the VMS support site and have found them to be OK. The reply I got back is:-
"There would be a couple of ways to do this in theory, as this is not something that we support, however it is possible:

convert the gpx files to kml files (you'll need some mapping software to do this, check out "global mapper"), copy the kml files to a folder on the SD card in SDcard>drive>content>userdata>poi. This should work in theory, however as i said this isn't something that we support.

The other way is to upgrade your VMS off road software as the latest VMS 3 does support import of GPX files, however to upgrade to VMS 3 you HAVE to have VMS off road on your device to start with."

I must admit I am no closer to understanding all that they are talking about either. I thinks it's all a bit hard and will probably give up. I hate it when people or companied seem to go out of their way to make things difficult or over complicated.

Anyhow, thanks for your input and happy travels to you all. We are off on Saturday week for a 4 week trip with our van on the back. First planned stop will be Lightning Ridge maybe to buy some opal. From there who know's, probably a bit north for the warmer weather.

AnswerID: 510174

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Friday, May 03, 2013 at 13:11

Friday, May 03, 2013 at 13:11
What they are telling you is that you need to convert that file and load it onto the memory card that you have in the VMS.

I have converted the file for you into KML, PM me with your email and I will send it to you.

Do you know how to connect the VMS to your computer, so it shows up as a drive?

It's really very easy to do and will only take you a minute or two to do.
FollowupID: 788319

Follow Up By: ChrisK - Friday, May 03, 2013 at 13:18

Friday, May 03, 2013 at 13:18
Thanks Evaredy,

I am not a full member so the PM option doesn't seem to be available to me. You could email me at"ckoopattps.vic.edu.au". I am able to connect the gps to my PC so I've got that part working OK and can see the various folders on the SD card.
FollowupID: 788321

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Friday, May 03, 2013 at 13:49

Friday, May 03, 2013 at 13:49
Ok I will email the file to you.

When you get the email you will see the attachment (the File) at the top, right click on it and select Save As, a screen will pop up and on the left hand side of that screen you will see the memory card listed there.

Click on the card and then you will see a list of folders on the right hand side, look the folder named Content, double click on that to open it. Then look for a folder named UserData, double click on it to open it. You should then see a folder named POI, click on it and then RIGHT click and select Paste.

FollowupID: 788329

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Friday, May 03, 2013 at 14:04

Friday, May 03, 2013 at 14:04
I made a little error with the above but have sent you another email correcting it.

Let me know how you get on.
FollowupID: 788331

Sponsored Links