Fridge and freezer options

Our Waceo went swimming in the Bundy flood Australia day. so we are comparing our choices with Engel, waceo, primus and EvaCool, wanting the fridge and freezer option 60l to 70L, do like the idea of two separate lids and Evan Cool has two separate thermostats.. that gives you the choice which side you want to use as freezer.

Question is what one holds up the best since we live in in as very hot country
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: K&FT - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 10:35

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 10:35
G'day sugarcane campers,

I would look seriously at the evakool, as you say it is great to have the option of fridge/freezer or all fridge or all freezer. Something a lot of the other makes don't offer. The twin thermostat has to be an Aussie first never seen that anywhere else.

I like the thick insulation as you stated we live in a hot country and the evakool does not need an additional insulation cover. Good insulation means the fridge will not have to work as hard to maintain the coldness a big plus in my book when you need to conserve power.

my next fridge will be an evakool.

frank
AnswerID: 510032

Follow Up By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 12:22

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 12:22
My thoughts too and I have a 80 Waeco at the moment that has been perfect.
FollowupID: 788077

Follow Up By: kiwicol - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 16:47

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 16:47
The twin thermostat has been around for many years. The explorer fridge made in Maryborough has used this system for at least 13 years. They also have the best insulation like the trail blaser on the market. The only downside for some maybe the weight.
Cheers Col
FollowupID: 788096

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 12:08

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 12:08
Two sons purchased the Engel 60 lt dual compartment, single lid fridge/freezer. We didn't like the one lid idea though so we purchased a new Engel 40Lt from a 4WD shop and a second hand Engel 21 lt through ebay.

For short trips we run an Engel 40 lt. For longer ones we add a 21 lt Engel as a freezer only. Works well but you need the extra room and battery for sure. Only two of us for the long trips.

More flexibility for space saving when most of our trips are weekend trips into the VIC high country. Plus if one breaks we can find an alternative rather than not having any fridge as is the case with only having one fridge. Broke a power cord once in the Kimberley. No fridge for a day.

And having the extra space in the freezer annoys the hell out of our mates when we pull out an ice block in the deserts.

Phil.
AnswerID: 510038

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 17:14

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 17:14
I'm with Phil on this, which brand is a separate debate but go two smaller fridges
FollowupID: 788099

Sponsored Links