Vic High Country

Hi guys,

I'm planning a trip to the Victoria High Country for the end of the year. I've never been to Victoria before and was looking for some advice on where to go when over there.
I'm planning to spend 7 consecutive days in the High Country and wanting to know where the best tracks are and which route to take to get the best 4WD'ing and the best views.

My 4WD will be very capable by the trip and should not struggle through the harder tracks and I'm able to be self sufficient for the entire trip if needed.

Any advice is welcome,

Cheers,

Nathan.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 06:23

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 06:23
Nahan, the answer will depend on when you are coming and where you want to focus on, it's a very big area that would take much more than 10 days. Are you coming from the east, west, north or south of the high country?

A lot of tracks are closed from after Queens Birthday weekend to the weekend before Cup day. And some are closed longer.

Also do your have a winch and muddies?
AnswerID: 510082

Follow Up By: UltimatePatrol - Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 04:51

Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 04:51
I'm coming from the west, driving from WA. Unfortunately my annual leave won't give me more than 7 days actual driving time in the high country even though I'm sure that I could spend a month there!

When you say "where you want to focus on" what exactly do you mean? I don't know exactly where I'll be going yet, trying to find the best area to spend my limited time.

I'm also planning on travelling in January, or just around then... And I will have a winch by then, and are using the Cooper ST Maxx.

Thanks for the feedback.
FollowupID: 788233

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 10:00

Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 10:00
Great, firstly in January you won't need muddies or a winch in most cases, but you need to keep an eagle ear out for fires. ABC radio 774, 828 or 720 towards Gippsland or 756 in NE Vic are usually the best to listen to. It will be pretty busy then.

Unless you specifically want to go to Melbourne, There is a lot to see heading in through Mansfield Which you could cut across to from Horsham, and Bendigo Take in Craig's hut which is good to see once ( and once only), and good but crowded camping near Sheepyard. Then head east to say Wonnangatta and north to take in Blue Rag for the view, though it was destroyed by the fires this year. You can then come out on the Alpine Rd and home via shepparton and Horsham again.

If you want to go through Melbourne then take in Talbotville and out through Dargo and Gippsland.

These places will be busy and you will be on the move but you will get some fantastic views and great 4wding.

FollowupID: 788245

Reply By: mikehzz - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 06:41

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 06:41
It's a big place with a lot to see and do. Might I suggest you maybe base yourself somewhere like Talbotville (a pretty spot on the river but probably crowded in the holidays) and do day trips in every direction? To get there you can cross the border at Tom Groggin and do Mt Pinnibar or Davies Plain on the way. From Talbotville you can drive out via Wonangatta and end up at Mansfield and catch the freeway home. Then you have seen a lot of the 'name' place like Blue Rag and Billy Goat's. They are lucky in Victoria, it's a top 4wd area.
AnswerID: 510084

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 08:05

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 08:05
Hard to disagree with that advice Mike , one dark spot is that Blue Rag is a highway now, but from a base at Talbotville its so easy to consume a week playing - one of the hardest tracks now is within site of camp at the southern end of South Basalt.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 788131

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 08:45

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 08:45
He he...I went down South Basalt last week and at the top the first drain hump must have been 6ft high and near vertical. I thought, that's a bit extreme but went over it anyway. When I got to the bottom the track had a barrier saying closed on it. I think the hump was supposed to stop me :-) They should have just put a sign up there. They were grading the track down but there weren't any workers on it at the time.
FollowupID: 788135

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 15:34

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 15:34
Ha Ha your supposed to go first Mike - but then you may have read the sign and missed out on some fun.

We were their at christmas and some were taking damage - looks like it might become a highway like Blue Rag , still I went up/down it after last grade a few years ago and it quickly went bad again.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 788181

Reply By: BOXHD - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 07:14

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 07:14
hi .. just got back from doing the mt gibbo track and Mt Pinnibar track it's the highest 4x4 track in vic and mb aust .. and the views are the best I've ever seen in the high country... cheers boxhd
AnswerID: 510087

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 07:43

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 07:43
We enjoyed the east to west drive along Haunted Stream Creek track which runs north east from Tambo Crossing. The last exit was interesting. The smaller utes had trouble. No hassles with the larger cars. Even without lockers. That's us. Not enough cash yet.

[vimeo]Exiting Haunted Stre[/vimeo]

Phil
AnswerID: 510090

Follow Up By: auzinomad - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:25

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:25
Hope Phyl came back and replaced a few rocks he moved when he stalled the climb
Leaving a track better than you found it is a great idea, degrading a track for a thrill aint.

Those rocks in the holes didn't "just get there by them selves" did they, so instead of ripping them out putting in a few more would be a better idea.

But then I wouldn't know would I ................ ( sigh )

Ron
FollowupID: 788152

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:47

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:47
Please do not start a winging contest. Just enjoy the thread as it is please.

Why has there always have to be someone who tries to destroy the threads.

No they didn't get there by themselves. We all put them there!!!

Phil
FollowupID: 788158

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 12:43

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 12:43
Thanks Phil for posting the video.

Cheers, Geoff
FollowupID: 788163

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 13:22

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 13:22
Thanks

A whole week up there. Broke the right rear shockie on the first day and the Toyota replacement didn't let the wheel go down far enough. Oops.

How about the 100 at the rear Nice sound or what. Same mechanic - different budget. Bunch of lockers on most as well. Not us. Same issue - FUNDS.

Catchya

Phil
FollowupID: 788165

Follow Up By: Mick O - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 17:31

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 17:31
Certainly highlights the benefits of lockers doesn't it. A much easier transit.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 788195

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 19:37

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 19:37
Spot on!

Next upgrades - IF EVER - are lockers front and rear and a good quality 3 inch exhaust. That should clear at around $4K I think. Just a 3" exhaust is around $1500 fitted. I cannot do the work myself. There are reasons guys so don't go there. Okay.

I do not think that I will see them though.

Phil
FollowupID: 788208

Reply By: Smiley Bill - Friday, May 03, 2013 at 00:10

Friday, May 03, 2013 at 00:10
Hi UltimatePatrol,

I reckon a good trip would be start at Mansfield (where you could pick up supplies and maps, we use the Feathertop maps when we're up there) and travel out to Sheepyard Flat. From there work out a route to take in some of the cattlemans huts to the south-east and slowly make your way towards places like the Wonnangatta, Dargo, Blue Rag, Talbotville and finish up heading towards Bairnsdale in Gippsland. If you have time drive to McKillops Bridge for a test of nerves.

As already mentioned keep your eyes and ears open for bush fires, they tend to be big down that way.

SB
AnswerID: 510221

Follow Up By: UltimatePatrol - Friday, May 03, 2013 at 17:03

Friday, May 03, 2013 at 17:03
Thanks alot for you help and advice, greatly appreciated... Now I've just got plan it and get out there!!
FollowupID: 788344

Sponsored Links