Plenty Highway

Hi Folks,
Can anyone let me know the condition of the Plenty, I have driven it once quite a few years ago, but this time I want to tow my offroad van across
rgds Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 21:10

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 21:10
Peter, the Plenty and Donohue are generally well maintained but will be affected by weather as you would imagine. The channel country can be particularly susceptible. The NT side is generally speaking, a little better maintained than the QLD side. The bull dust patches have been largely taken care of. They used to be real bad around Tobermoray Station but work on the sections seems to have rectified this. Cattle mustering and trucking will affect road conditions (I think it's around April-May but check that).Check the respective shire websites for road conditions closer to your departure date and weather as well.

These blogs may help you.

The Plenty-Donohue to the Channel Country

Boulia Bedourie

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 510162

Follow Up By: pistol - Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 07:25

Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 07:25
Thanks Mick, will be towing a van21ft off road with land cruiser, I work in Qld and as you said will watch the weather before I attempt to cross it, just hate to go the long way around as it is pretty boring road.
I appreciate your comment

Pistol.
FollowupID: 788236

Reply By: Member - Chris (QLD) - Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 11:41

Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 11:41
Hi Peter,
I travelled the Plenty and Doohue Hwy's 6 weeks ago Alice, west to east. There are some good sections but a lot of corrugations and bulldust holes in between. Sections are having work done but I did not see any machinery around and looks like they have not been there for some time.
It rained one night and gave the last 200km's a soaking before Bulia, this did not seem to stop two triple cattle trucks, about 70km's between them, from trying to get though one one of the better sections, where they caused a fair bit of damage before getting badly bogged in the middle of the road.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 510187

Sponsored Links