Could Only Happen in Birdsville!

Submitted: Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 08:43
ThreadID: 10198 Views:2497 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Morning everyone. Whilst preparing for our Pizza by the River late yesterday Birdsville was hit by a dustorm - as it was a very pleasant day our houses were all open. Drat! And then, whilst at home closing everything up before we went to eat the Pizzas the water came up the flats and over the road up to the grid - and then, it started to RAIN!!! The water was rising about 1 metre per hour yesterday and that "babbling brook" I told you about was a roar like the ocean. Killed one fierce snake last night on the way home. This morning (after raining all night) there is a howling easterly blowing across the water in our big front yard - it's 18 degrees and the water is 7.3 metres and all you can see is water to the east, south and north. Hasn't yet gone across the road to Bedourie cutting off the industrial estate but it will later today and has cut the road to Big Red. This is a very very fast flood.
Varying rain information - but 40 mls. Boulia had another 66 mls last night - too early to find out about places down the Birdsville Track. Sorry about the photos but software problem.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 10:05

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 10:05
Sounds incredible Ruth. Let us know what the atmosphere is like in town2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
AnswerID: 45147

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 13:11

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 13:11
Atmosphere in town this morning after Pizza by the River - well, did I mention the Merlot and Shiraz and Chardonnay - then we had Fudge for pud. There were a lot of empty wine bottles so the atmosphere today is SLOW. "Blue" the plumber was the chef - he's a lot better at pizza than he is at fixing his computer. He opened a Microsoft email - silly boy and now can't do anything but curse. The kids were all late for school because everyone slept in as it was so cool - 17 degrees and rainy. Everyone had to go to each side of town to see how far up the water was and round and round - luckily we have bitumen on our streets. Theo has been out to the SES shed and brought the big boat back into town and will no doubt give it a run this afternoon. Some of the people who are due to go on leave took cars to various places - east and south and Theo will do boat trips to get them out once the rain goes. There goes the boat engine - sounds like it needs tuning, don't think we've used it for 2 years, maybe more. Not sure yet how much rain fell in the Simpson - can only be good (brings more flowers), makes the dunes settle down - easy riding. Might have to do a double crossing - haven't got any customers.
FollowupID: 307270

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 14:09

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 14:09
I hope the flowers and stuff will last until Easter when we come up. I thought that we might spend three days at Birdsville in our tent or borrowed camper. Is this about the recommended time? I am not sure where we are going yet but I am pretty sure that we wont do the Simpson unless we get an offer to good to refuse (?from whom I don't know).
It is great to hear about what is happening there and certainly is making us keen to get up there and have a look.
Keep your head above water!
Andrew2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
AnswerID: 45169

Follow Up By: BigRed1 - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:24

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:24
Andrew and Jen, we will be up there at Easter, might run into you. Actually leaving Melb on 8th, hope the rains have gone by then. Love the slogan!
FollowupID: 307434

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:55

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:55
Do you have an itinerary planned. Not sure when we will get up there but I reckon that it will probably be around 6th April that we might get up there. I have heard that Big Red is a ripper - dunno about BigRed1 though!! Are you planning to cross the Simpson. We wont be though I am sure that we will have a bit of a look out at Big Red and beyond for a day..

Rain will make it interesting. Hopefully it will have cleared a bit by then.

Andrew2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 307439

Follow Up By: BigRed1 - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 21:02

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 21:02
Haven't got the itinerary worked out yet, will be 4 vehicles and the aim is to cross the Simpson, weather permitting. Last time up there (01),we got as far as Big Red, stopped on top and swore we would be back to go all the way across. Will be giving our Kimberley Kamper a run before our big trip in June.
FollowupID: 307872

Sponsored Links