Engel Expert Needed

Submitted: Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 16:54
ThreadID: 101980 Views:3141 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I have an Engel SS40F that has been a good performer for years. It has now decided to go on the 'Blink'. I recently upgraded to a 60 litre Engel for the vehicle so the SS40F now sits in the garage, runs on 240v and is used mainly as a beer and wine fridge. Just recently the temperature control function has gone haywire. Merely switching on the power at the highest temerature setting finds the fridge hitting a minimum of -8 degrees. As even hardened drinkers would admit, beer and wine at this temperature is something to be avoided!!
Does anyone out there have an explanation and solution for me. I thought of sending it off to the 'Experts' to fix but a little research finds they are a little 'Light on the Ground'.
Brian Adshead

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - kym111 (WA) - Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 18:40

Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 18:40
Hi Brian
We have an older model 40 litre Engel (not sure which one - the khaki green one). Boxing Day it died. It was sitting in the car in the sun, and just stopped working completely. We ended up getting a local agent to put a complete new motor and inside freezing component (is it the condenser?? The bit that frosts up). I can't remember if it was a case of old age, or if it had developed a hole and all the gas leaked out. Either way, it was buy a new one at $1200+ or $500 for the repair. We went for the repair option. So far, all is good and it works a treat.

Perhaps its a simple thing of a new control button or thermostat. Best get a qualified Engel repairer to have a look. The Engel Australia website should have a list of agents and repairers.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Kym111
AnswerID: 510211

Reply By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 19:17

Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 19:17
I'm by no means an 'expert', but I'll put my money on a dodgy thermostat

There's a fella at Helidon whom I would regard as an 'Expert' on Engels (& others)...

Give him a buzz, and I reckon he'll give ya the 'good oil'....

Mini Fridge Repairs

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 510213

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 20:56

Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 20:56
Brian

I had a few dodgy joints on the circuit board mounting the thermostat (around the variable resistor).

Once re-soldered it is as good as new.

Bob

AnswerID: 510216

Reply By: Member - DereelGirl - Friday, May 03, 2013 at 10:30

Friday, May 03, 2013 at 10:30
It's obvious what the problem is guys........... It got bleep off that you replaced it with a newer fridge!!! :-) Well it is Friday!
Sorry I couldn't resist.
Dereelgirl
Dereelgirl

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 510242

Follow Up By: Member - Brian A (QLD) - Friday, May 03, 2013 at 17:27

Friday, May 03, 2013 at 17:27
Hi Dereelgirl,
Ah!! Being a 'Simple Male' I should have thought it would have been something like that. The 'Damned SS40F is probably female and sensitive!
Regards
Brian
Brian Adshead

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 788346

Sponsored Links