Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 23:12
G'day Twinkles,

this wasn't us but it'll give you an idea what's there - Herne Spur

Hoo roo,
Steve
AnswerID: 510219

Follow Up By: Keith H7 - Friday, May 03, 2013 at 13:55

Friday, May 03, 2013 at 13:55
Herne Spur begins at the delightful Wonnangatta Homstead. It takes you through 8 river crossings and up some of the steepest terrain in the high country. There are many sections that appear to be vertical and they are loose and rocky. High clearance, low range, good off road tyres and plenty of courage needed for this one. Leave the wives and kids at home if you know whats good for you. The upshot is if your a fisherman there are lots of spots to throw a line in. The trek climbs up Herne Spur to meet up with Wombat Spur then traverses back down to the Wonnangatta Flats. Along the way there is a nice short track that takes you up and on top of Bald Knob. This track requires a fair level of courage to go up and about a 30 point turn to get around and back down. If you have the experience take the time as it gives you completely unobstructed 360 degree views of the high country. This trip is best done in the morning.

I wouldn't be taking a camper.
FollowupID: 788330

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Friday, May 03, 2013 at 05:59

Friday, May 03, 2013 at 05:59
I took my Tvan up Wombat Range track the week after Easter in the dry and it was surprisingly easy, though you would need a camper with a VERY Good departure angle, the washouts are huge and the back of the camper will scrape the ground.

I wouldn't try Herne Spur with a camper, it is a lot steeper and climbs the same height in a lot less distance. The video in the previous post is about right.
AnswerID: 510222

Sponsored Links