Noccundra to Tibooburra road condition

Submitted: Friday, May 03, 2013 at 07:14
ThreadID: 101987 Views:6255 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We would like to do the above road and on to Broken Hill with our 4.2tdi Patrol and Jayco outback pop top in a couple of weeks time. Has anyone been down recently and what condition is the road in? I must admit to getting sick of corrugations but will live with them if need be.
Thanks, Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, May 03, 2013 at 08:26

Friday, May 03, 2013 at 08:26
Geoff,

while my info might be a little dated, we found that a power of work was being undertaken on this road when last we travelled it 18 months back. North of the Warri gate, huge sections had been remade and were due for opening soon after we passed through. Because of all the mining and gas exploration in the eareas north of the Warri, you could reasonably expect the sections to be maintained in good condition up to the Orientos turn off or even a bit further. After that you should expect it to be not as well maintained

I have done the road with our patrol and a Jayco O/R Eagle camper and found it no worries. Like anything, you can be lucky and be blessed by the grader gods or if not, expect it to be a little bit rough in places. I don't recall corrugations being a major issue though with just the odd patch here and there.

After Tibooburra heading south to broken Hill, the road is largely in very good condition with large swathes of bitumen. Again these roads are particularly affected by weather and will be shut as a result of a good soaking.

A phone call to the Noccundra pub closer to your departure date concerning the recent road conditions wouldn't go astray I'd reckon.

Safe Travels and enjoy the trip.

Mick

South to Tibooburra

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 510228

Reply By: Jon W (Toow - Friday, May 03, 2013 at 11:47

Friday, May 03, 2013 at 11:47
Geoff,
We did that road during last Easter. Apart from a badly rutted couple of km just south of the Warri Gate, there were no issues. Some sections were damp but will have dried out by now. Its quite a pleasant drive from Noccundra to Tib.
Enjoy.
Jon W
AnswerID: 510245

Reply By: Mazdave - Friday, May 03, 2013 at 13:16

Friday, May 03, 2013 at 13:16
Geoff,
Travelled that road last weekend. Road is in pretty good nick with some rough and stony patches. As Mick O said there has been quite a bit of work on the road in recent years and it is quite an easy drive. You can average 70 - 80kmh and you wont have any trouble towing a Pop top as I saw a couple of vans being towed in the opposite direction. Just watch your tyres and pressures as there a lot of very sharp gibber rocks which can puncture for the unexpected.

AnswerID: 510246

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M17 - Saturday, May 04, 2013 at 17:55

Saturday, May 04, 2013 at 17:55
Hi Geoff,

What would you recommend with tyre pressures ?

Do not want to be stoppoing to pump up and down too often

Regards

Reter
FollowupID: 788402

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 05:45

Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 05:45
This is a timely thread. We are in Victoria and planning to return home via that road. Tyres are near new on van and car but only one spare for each. Am I taking an undue risk if I do the trip through Tiboburra so equiped? Just looking for opinions. Thanks.Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 510342

Sponsored Links