Wireless Reversing Camera Install

Submitted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 at 17:51
ThreadID: 102016 Views:5433 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I posted awhile ago a question re reversing cameras and wanted to let people know of my findings.

I bought one of those wireless reversing cameras from ebay. The one I have replaces the license plate light. I have a pajero where the tyre is on the back door.

The claim of the wireless is that it is easy to install as you do not have to run an AV table to link the camera to the monitor.

This is true and I am surprised how well it works. I have been running all the time as I have not connected it to the reversing light wires. I have put a cigarette lighter plug on the end and just plugged into one of the outlets. I did this to make sure it works and I may just leave it like this. The picture breaks up every now and again but then redisplays quickly.

The points I would like to raise are:
Yes the wireless camera is easy to install BUT it still has to have a power supply. In the pajero running the power cable from the camera to the reversing light is a fairly major task as you have to pull off all the panels in the back door and couple of internal ones. This is probably the hardest bit (I have not done this yet, I have just run the cable under the door - temporary install). Having to run an AV cable to the monitor would not be as big an effort,

As said the camera works great even at night until you turn on the lights. As the camera is near the license plate lights it is to bright and you can not see anything. I suppose i could turn off the lights ant night :).

So if any one is contemplating buying one of these wireless cameras think twice about buying one that replaces one of the license plate lights and even though using a wireless camera is great it may not save you as much work as the adds tell you.

Rich

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Jason – Perth - Saturday, May 04, 2013 at 21:41

Saturday, May 04, 2013 at 21:41
Hi Rich,
Do you know if the camera is Bluetooth wireless?
Did it come with the monitor?
Thanks
Jason
AnswerID: 510331

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Saturday, May 04, 2013 at 21:47

Saturday, May 04, 2013 at 21:47
Jason,
Wireless not Bluetooth

It did not come with a monitor but got one very cheap from ebay as well.

There are other packages on ebay that sell the both camera and monitor.

The one I got came with a camera and wireless transmitter and receiver attachments.

I can send link but a quick search on ebay on "wireless reverse camera" will find a few, may be better than mine.

Rich
FollowupID: 788417

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Saturday, May 04, 2013 at 22:41

Saturday, May 04, 2013 at 22:41
I bought one of those cameras especially for backing up in the bush. Works really well. I have upgraded to a monitor that is bluetooth to my iPhone. That works well too. Even if the monitor is off it will come to life and answer the phone. Cool. Hands free. When I am in the car and dial out it will come to life as the phone interface. As with all in cab microphone they can get a bit echoey sometime or other times it is great reception.

I have bought a second camera so I can watch what is on the back of the ute tray without looking around.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 510335

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 08:42

Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 08:42
Which Bluetooth camera did you buy?

I was playing around with linking my iPhone to ipad via Bluetooth and wireless.

It worked well but camera on iPhone not great for reversing but concept was good.

I went the way I did because cheap and wanted to try it first.

Rich
FollowupID: 788435

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 09:04

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 09:04
The camera was not bluetooth just the screen so I could patch my phone into it and answer phone calls. The screen is attached to my centre rear view mirror.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 788511

Reply By: Member - Rich - Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 10:31

Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 10:31
One other thing I did not mention is that the camera does not show the tow ball on the car. I had hoped to use it when trying to attach the van. Not great but it gets very close and a bit of experience in using it will help.

This problem may just be unique to the pajero as the license plate is on the spare wheel which is in the middle of the door.

The camera does not use bluetooth as mentioned but the 2.4g wireless

This is not where I got it but similar
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WIRELESS-Car-Rear-View-Camera-Mitsubishi-Pajero-V3-V6-V8-Zinger-Montero-DION-/251074654325?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a75373075#ht_6110wt_886

Rich
AnswerID: 510356

Sponsored Links