Canberra to Mt Dare - Which way please?

Submitted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 16:15
ThreadID: 102030 Views:1720 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Heading off for a simpson crossing in a few weeks.

Looking at going up oodnadatta and into Dalhousie rather than all the way up the blacktop.

Anyone travelled the track lately and what sort of condition is it in?

Also just want to make sure you can get through to Dlahousie so I dont have to go back around anyway.

Look forward to your responses as always!!

OC
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 17:21

Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 17:21
Oliver

Others will advise on the current state of the desert, however I've done the trip many times and I just wanted to point out that you don't necessarily have to go via Mildura etc to get to Oodnadatta. It is about the same distance to go via Broken Hill, Peterborough etc. So from Canberra you go Harden, Temora, W Wyalong, Hillston, Ivanhoe, Menindee, Broken Hill, Peterborough, Hawker, Maree.

Maybe its because I've done it so often but I find the Hay Plains pretty uninteresting. There is some nice mallee around Balranald, but apart from that its very boring.

The Broken Hill way is a bit more off the beaten track, which I always prefer.

Bob
AnswerID: 510377

Reply By: Member - Ross N (NSW) - Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 18:51

Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 18:51
If time is your enemy stay on the bitumen via Hay, Port Augusta to Coober Pedy.
Then the Oodnadatta track to Mt Dare.
If ,however you have the time & inclination for some remote area travel to get you in the mood for the Simpson I suggest my favouite route , Hilston Wilcania Tiboburra,Cameron Corner,thence to the Oodnadatta track.
This maximises dirt travel but great fun
You will enjoy either way
Ross
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 510382

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 10:58

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 10:58
The other option is from Broken Hill head down to Yunta and chuck a right and head across to Arkaroola then down to either Leigh Creek or Copley...... to Lyndhurst, William Creek, Oodnadatta, Hamilton Station to Mt Dare.

It all good high speed dirt and the road from Yunta to Arkaroola is hard capped.
AnswerID: 510431

Follow Up By: David16 - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 18:14

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 18:14
Hi, we just came from Mt Dare today through Dalhousie to Oodnadatta then to Coober Pedy. Roads have all been recently graded and are in great condition, Dalhousie to Mt Dare is very rocky so watch tyre pressures.
Go to Marree up Oodnadatta track to Mt Dare, we are heading back out to Ood track tomorrow via William Creek and down.
David
FollowupID: 788534

Sponsored Links