Free Camping Site or Less expensive C'park near Gold Coast

Submitted: Monday, May 06, 2013 at 07:47
ThreadID: 102045 Views:17214 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We have to travel to the Gold Coast from Berrigan NSW in early July and need a camp site within reasonable distance from the Gold Coast Airport for at least a week. We travel in a caravan and with 2 small dogs, so a lot of the c'van parks are not available to us. Plus we are on the pension and have to live within a strict budget.
Either side of the border. Does anybody know anything about Stotts Island Camp area?
Any help will be appreciated
Regards
PeterM (Qld)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 09:12

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 09:12
Morning Peter,
In relation to Stotts Island camping area, we stayed there overnight a couple of years back, it's right on the highway which is noisy, and the roosters will wake you very, very early in the morning.
According to the camps 6 it doesn't seem to allow camping.
If you travel along the road a bit further (2-3 ks) just before Tumbulgum turn right over the bridge, once across the bridge turn right again and the road comes back under the bridge.
Drive some 1.5ks and you will come to a little unknown park called Bluey Hills Park, which is on the banks of the Mary River over looking Tumbulgum, there are no facilities, but it's free.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 510421

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 10:09

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 10:09
If you prefer a caravan park for the cooler months the Ferry Reserve Holiday Park (Family Parks) at Brunswick Heads is pet friendly and in a convenient location for the Gold Coast Airport. It is beside the river and the pleasant township has all necessary facilities. Plenty of good dog walks on the beaches or riverside paths. The price is reasonable for the area and the amenities are very good. Lynne
AnswerID: 510425

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 12:39

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 12:39
I would think Scotts Island would only be good for an overnighter. It gets very dank in wet weather and there is often lots of water lying around.

Burringbar Park may be a goer, it's 44 km from the airport.

This map shows your selection of parks around Tweed Heads. The green pins are yours, zoom in and click on the pins for more info. There are links for the parks web sites and Badgers revues on that extra info.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 510444

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 08:26

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 08:26
Good morning PeterD
I'm having trouble with Burringbar Park. Is there any more information you can give me?
Many Thanks
PeterM (Qld)
FollowupID: 788825

Reply By: The Bunyip - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 15:36

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 15:36
Peter,
I understand totally. It cost us (family with 2 small children) no less than $58 per night at Southport. The Gold Coast wasn't part of our plans at first but our circumstances changed. If it wasn't pouring rain at the time we would've kept going & done what you propose, stay further out of town.
AnswerID: 510516

Reply By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 07:53

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 07:53
First off pleas accept my apologies for NOT responding to you all sooner.
I have had a MATURE MOMENT couple of days. I posted the question and then travelled over to Deniliquib to see a visiting Cardiologist and now next week need to travel down to Bendigo to get a battery replacement for my pacemaker.
Thank you for your suggestions I will look into them all. This morning I contacted the Qld Association of Showgrounds and their web site is great. You just click on a town name and the site gives you all the contact details and whether it is caravan & motor home friendly.
http://www.queenslandshows.com.au/default.asp?PageID=113 this is Beenleigh for example.
Regards to all
Stay safe & stay well
PeterM Qld
AnswerID: 510561

Reply By: skid - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 10:26

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 10:26
I'm at stotts now and its very damp muddy with traffic roaring past & yes roosters - need ear plugs Sad to see so many transients sleeping in cars not just here but outside most cities.
AnswerID: 510783

Sponsored Links