Where to go next?

Submitted: Monday, May 06, 2013 at 08:21
ThreadID: 102046 Views:1939 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone, we are based in outer Subs of Melbourne and looking to plan a two week trip and would like to see what some of you guys have as suggestions. Last year we did 2 weeks to do broken Hill and Mungo, this year two weeks at Flinders Ranges and i was thinking Tom Groggin area for the next one? we only have an old 60 series that is fairly stock Diesel and tow a camper. we travel alone so cant go through too much as any recovery, we would have to rely on ourselves. Blue Mountains was another thought? i am really interested in any other thoughts that members have had. Happy to base a camp and travel out each day touring, hiking, kayaking, fishing, or whatever else is around.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jon W (Toow - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 08:38

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 08:38
Hi.
Have you done the Vic High Country. Any number of suitable places for a base camp and lots of options for day trips.
Jon W
AnswerID: 510412

Follow Up By: nellyjr - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 08:46

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 08:46
Hi Jon W,
i have done the Talbotville, Dargo across to Haunted Stream, Around Ensayand back through Croajingalong areas. I have done little from Omeo, Benambra, North or East from these or over Hotham either. i just saw one trek over Harrietville which looks interesting, inc Blue Rag which i want to do as well.
Nellyjr
FollowupID: 788507

Reply By: Member - Coldee - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 15:42

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 15:42
Not sure if this is what you are after but this is an interesting mix of black top touring with plenty of opportunity to go off road and explore. It is a really good package. Pack your woollies if you plan to go in the next few months. I go in winter but spend a bit extra and stay in the pubs. Check conditions. Road can closed due to snow south of Oberon.
http://www.greaterbluemountainsdrive.com.au/index.php

Really good website. Maps. Travel tips. Accommodation/campsites. Some pretty spectacular country to explore.

Make sure you pack a camera.
AnswerID: 510460

Follow Up By: nellyjr - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 07:50

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 07:50
Thanks Coldee,

This look like a great trip. Looks like i have some homework in front of me, but this is a great place to start. Thanks for your help.
FollowupID: 788570

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 15:55

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 15:55
Here are a few location suggestions that you could check out using Mr Google and using the search facility on this site (where the would certainly be a few blogs about some of these places):

Mallacoota, Point Hicks area and Crojingalong NP
Grampians
Brindabella Ranges and NP west of Canberra
Along the Murray and Darling Rivers
Blue Mountains area NSW

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 510462

Follow Up By: nellyjr - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 07:51

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 07:51
Hi Val,

Thanks for the suggestions. I think from the last post and yours the Brindabellas or Blue mountians have it. time to do some study.

Thanks for your reply.
Nellyjr
FollowupID: 788571

Reply By: The Bunyip - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 15:42

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 15:42
My first thought to your request was the Grampians. But I'm not sure if it's "remote" enough for you guys based on where you've been recently. We live in North East Vic so I can pretty much advise that unless you've snow chains don't both using the road from Khancoban to get to Tom Groggin this time of year. Weather can deteriorate very quickly in those parts. However if you're approaching from Omeo/Benambra you should be right.
AnswerID: 510517

Sponsored Links