What to leave behind?

Submitted: Monday, May 06, 2013 at 11:11
ThreadID: 102050 Views:1851 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Leaving in June for an 18 week trip around the block (from Hobart, up the East to Cairns, across to Darwin, down through the middle). No 4wd'ing, with CT & 4 kids under 10. Still trying to get my head around what we need to bring (and not to bring) so I have two questions for those who have done this kind of thing before:

1. What do you wish you left behind (apart from the kids)?
2. What do you wish you brought along (that you can't easily buy in the middle of nowhere)?

Can't wait to go!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 11:48

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 11:48
Hi,
I wouldn't leave home without..
Plenty of wet ones & plenty of newspaper.
Duct tape & WD 40 or the like. Fire-lighters.
Warm clothes as the centre can get below freezing!
I'd also include alfoil & big garbage bags
There is the obvious like torch & batteries.I'm sure you've got packed.
Enjoy.
Take care, safe travels. Ma.
AnswerID: 510435

Reply By: Member - Wozikev - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 12:00

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 12:00
Hi Gerald,
I did similar last winter - up the west coast and down through the middle. Took 16 weeks and a great trip. I know space is always at a premium (particularly with 4 kids), but one of the handiest things I took along was a new STIHL Mini Boss chain saw ($299). I had it in a locked box on the roof rack where it was easy reached, and it put a whole new light on wood gathering. Of the 122 days we were away, only 23 were spent in Caravan Parks so with that amount of bush camping, the little saw was mighty handy. Not essential I know, but ...........................

Have a great trip. Cheers ..................... Kev.
AnswerID: 510438

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 12:00

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 12:00
Take as little as possible! You don't want to be burdened with heaps of stuff to be constantly packing and unpacking and hunting through. For that trip you will be able to buy anything necessary as you go when you find you really need it. Kids clothes etc can be discarded once they become destroyed (as they will) and replaced at cheap shops or op shops. The only thing we always take is the stove top coffee pot and a manual coffee grinder (we can buy coffee beans at intervals along the way) but we can't operate without decent coffee and that is not always available. Also perhaps a bird book so you can all learn about the birds you see and scrap books for the kids to keep a record of their trip and provide an occasional hour of peaceful activity. These will become treasures! With our kids years ago we limited their personal packing to what they could fit in a small backpack or we would have been swamped with their toys and treasures. Try to avoid toys that come in a million pieces! Don't forget the first aid box (with really good tweezers for removing splinters) and flu shots before you go. Nothing like a dose of a mainland virus to spoil a trip. Pack some balls for impromptu games so the kids can be run around to tire them out (hopefully) and provide a way to meet other kids. Have a great trip. You will be creating wonderful memories. Lynne
AnswerID: 510439

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 12:51

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 12:51
We did something similar with the grand children and we took their push-bike's that way they could go off exploring while you set up and got things organised half hour time limit when not in a caravan park. also give the eldest one a two way radio for communication with the camp in case they can't find there way back only happened to us once that's when we learnt about the two ways radios, took us an hour to find them they were ok they had found a puddle to play in five hundred meters from camp in the opposite way to which they had left, they were happy we were frantic, alls well that ends well.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 788518

Reply By: Tony B3 - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 12:54

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 12:54
Hi Gerald V
We packed to many clothes and shoes. Rags are always handy.
Have a good trip.
We are like you leaving Ulverstone end of July for Cape York can't wait.

Tony.
AnswerID: 510449

Reply By: pepper2 - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 13:15

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 13:15
a small inverter is invaluble to charge all sorts of rechargeable items,cameras,computers,torches ,toys,etc
AnswerID: 510452

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 14:01

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 14:01
Hopefully you have done a couple of 1-2 week shakedown trips to sort most things out.
The one thing we did was use the square plastic containers that you get preserved fruit in to store things for the kitchen etc, rice, sugar, rolled oats, flour etc. write on the lids and they are easy to see in drawers etc.

Wouldn't even contemplate taking a chainsaw, storing the separate two stroke fuel etc, take a little folding saw and small axe.

Agree about taking a good bird book and mark of the species as you see them.
AnswerID: 510454

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 19:05

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 19:05
Agree with Lyn. Take as little as possible. The first things to ditch are those that are heavy or expensive. I totally agree Lyn's suggestion of chainsaw, and I'd include anything else that has a separate engine. Agree bird book, but I'd include tree book.

You must have a compressor and tyre plug kit. A good jack, but not a hi-lift. Two spare wheel/tyres will save a lot of grief. Great if trailer and car have same wheels.

What to take. Panadol, nurofen, zinc cream, burnaid, solugel, bandaids, king brown anti venene (only kidding).

If you make the mistake of taking a gameboy etc, make sure you take 4.
FollowupID: 788541

Reply By: steved58 - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 20:35

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 20:35
Have done loads of these trips and always take too much if you have to ask this question I suggest you need to take more trips tell your boss ha ha Most things you forget can be bought on the road so take the minimum and buy as needed What one person cannot do without is what another does not need I for instance hate coffee and birds One thing you do need to take is the camper Agood sense of humour and adventure is all I need to take
Have a great trip
Steve
AnswerID: 510478

Follow Up By: Member - johnny woofl - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 21:21

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 21:21
If you only have 18 weeks forget the big trip, pick a state or region and concentrate on seeing that part of Australia. Stop and smell the flowers. With 4 kids you don't want to be on the road everyday, you want the kids to remember the bushwalks, the camping experience, the amazing scenery. You don't want their memories of the trip to be of the long boring time they spent sitting in back of the car.
FollowupID: 788554

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 11:50

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 11:50
Gerald,
This may not help much but the thing I always love to leave behind is, work, stress, city, traffic and most important of all the bloody TV. I envy you and wish it was me.

If you take too much do not put up with it - pack it into postage satchels and send it home (we have done this more than once). If you do not have something then there is but only one choice make do till you can get it. It is amazing how little you really need and we all generally take way to much. After all the trips and years and years of traveling we find that we always have too much clothing and not enough port.

Have a great time, you lucky buggers.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 510504

Reply By: Member - Gerald V - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 16:33

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 16:33
Thanks all for your comments...

A few good tips there, a few we've already covered. Got some new ideas and have had a few of our own ideas 'cemented', so thank you all!

Gerald V & family.
AnswerID: 510522

Sponsored Links