D-Max traction control

Submitted: Monday, May 06, 2013 at 20:58
ThreadID: 102063 Views:5646 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I own a new 2012 D-max and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the traction control system. I purposely put the vehicle in a position where two opposing wheels were unloaded to see how/if the TRC works. It did work, however it was very aggressive. It wouldn't with the engine idling in low range, but when I feed it some throtle, it nearly snapped my neck.
I should say at this point that my D-max is a manual. Has anyone else experienced this?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: gbc - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 06:12

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 06:12
Sounds about right. Most traction control systems require slipping and spinning before taking control. The euros want it that way to clear whatever snow they are stuck on from under their tyres. Unfortunately in sand etc this has a negative effect. Google 'dmax traction control' for an english bloke on youtube with a set of rollers comparing the old and new dmax. It is definitely a plus to have over standard 4wd but as you found out, its not exactly as smooth as diff locks.
The 5 speed auto subarus have a similar torque sharing system which is extremely effective, just as slow to react and needs revs input first or you get nothing. The latest 4wd monthly has the ute of the year test which the dmax won - I havent read it but I'd assume if it was a fair dinkum test they'd have experienced the traction control also?
AnswerID: 510491

Follow Up By: John and Maureen W (NSW) - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 13:55

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 13:55
Hi gbc I tried to buy the 4x4mag but there are a lot of monthlies could you tell me the name please, I have just bought a DMax manual.
Thanks John
FollowupID: 788835

Follow Up By: gbc - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 13:57

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 13:57
It is the latest '4wd action' mag. Cheers

C. J.
FollowupID: 788837

Reply By: Member - Scooby (WA) - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 14:30

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 14:30
Hi MarJac,
I have a 2012 Dmax auto and have not noticed this neck snapping take off. I have only tried the traction control on a steep rutted sandhill and the vehicle would not go up until I turned off the traction control. No sudden take off but maybe the wheels were spinning in the sand. I have not tried unloading opposing wheels on a high traction surface such as rock.
Regards
Scooby
AnswerID: 510513

Sponsored Links