Ningaloo - balmy in winter?

Submitted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 09:39
ThreadID: 102087 Views:2270 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I'm getting some contradictory advice on what the weather is like in Ningaloo in July/August.

The reason I ask is that the missus likes snorkeling, but only when it's truly balmy (at least in the high 20s)!

The climate average chart says it's only 10-24 degrees this time of year though, which sounds very pleasant but not particularly balmy http://www.meteorology.com.au/local-climate-history/wa/ningaloo

On the other hand I met a bloke the other day who was telling me it's really very warm, even in winter, suggesting it will even get into the 30s during the day!

Can anyone share there experience here?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 09:57

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 09:57
Have a look at this site here. When we were in that area in August it was pretty warm, but the wind blows all the time. Plenty of people snorkelling too.

There have been a couple of other recent posts about Ningaloo during the winter months - it gets very crowded.

Cheers

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 510570

Reply By: mick - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 11:01

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 11:01
Hi James,

Generally the temp are around mid to high 20's (sometimes higher) however like anywhere along the west coast you are subject to the winds. You may be lucky and get a string of fine, warm days.

We have been there during this period and although its alot cooler than when we now go (April), it didn't stop us from snorkelling and swimming etc.

Hope this helps, enjoy.

Mick
AnswerID: 510574

Follow Up By: toffytrailertrash - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 12:24

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 12:24
It is not the outside balmy temperature she should be worrying about if she wants to snorkel it is the water temperature which up there doesn't change that much..Enjoy

Cheers
Merv
FollowupID: 788660

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 15:25

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 15:25
We have done a considerable number of trips to Ningaloo with extending camping stays in the July school holidays, you'll have no trouble enjoying the snorkelling. The water temp doesn't drop much - its gorgeous in winter and too hot in summer!

In our experience, Ningaloo in July is warm-hot during the day but is cool in the mornings and can drop to very cold overnight. We camp on the beach and find as soon as the sun sets we're into ugh boots, thermals and beanies around the campfire. But once the sun warms up the sand we spend the entire days in the water in swimmers, on the boat, loads of sunscreen & hats, and always seeking shade - its hot enough to not want to be out in the middle of the day especially and don't need any neoprene for snorkelling, or waterskiing.

2 years ago our trip in July was considerably warmer overnight than in previous years so the thermals and ughs didn't get used. The wind issue is interesting - if you stay 4 weeks you'll be guaranteed to get 1 week when the wind blows every day and its not beach weather, not boating weather, just huddling inside weather. For this reason, we never plan short trips as you can strike bad luck. If we get 1 week in 4 that is bad, well that's just tough luck. But if you go for 2 weeks and get 1 blowout week that's a downer. We can only go 2 weeks this coming July - so got fingers and toes crossed we time it right.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 510586

Follow Up By: exmouth1 - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 19:28

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 19:28
I can only concur with Michelle. Luck of the draw with the wind. It has the advantage of the exmouth gulf if you want to dodge the souwester.
Snorkelling is ok all year really is warm enough to do at any time. The gulf water can be a bit warm in summer topping 28 degrees.
They are having problems at the moment with a jellyfish that has similar tendencies to the Irikandi, it will move on soon so should be ok when you are there, if not a Rashi suit or wetsuit is required.
Cheers
John ex RIC Cape Range Nat Park
FollowupID: 788697

Reply By: jamesgill - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 20:22

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 20:22
hmmm... we were only planning on a few days to one week up there...it sounds like there is a significant chance we might strike it windy for such a short stay. Is there a time of a year when the weather is more consistently calm and still good for snorkeling? What if we waited until September for instance?
AnswerID: 510606

Follow Up By: Gotlost - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 20:50

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 20:50
James its windy here all the time, so it does not matter when u come, its just luck of the draw, September/October is generally winder than other months, as for water temperatures for swimming at Ningaloo in the cooler months its cold, lived here 12 years and never swam here or Exmouth Gulf unless its the warmer months.

Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 788715

Follow Up By: Member - kwk56pt - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 23:49

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 23:49
Yes the wind does blow harder and consistently in September and October, The water is warm but the wind can make getting out chilly.
April is hot and less wind but cyclones can occur sometimes at this time. May is a good bet and June and July has a chilly wind when you exit the water. The wind is the issue and I see late April May and early June as the best bets
FollowupID: 788740

Sponsored Links