Kokoda - Platoon X- Trail caravan

Submitted: Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 13:21
ThreadID: 102100 Views:10110 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I am looking at purchasing a Kokoda Platoon X -Trail caravan.Does anyone out there own one of these vans or any Kokoda model van.I would be very interested to see how they perform in all types of terrain.

cheers, Boof.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 17:25

Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 17:25
I have not heard this name before, where are they made? It may be that they sound tougher than they really are. I personally prefer to follow brands that have a really solid reputation.

but I guess the newbies have to start somewhere

John
AnswerID: 510650

Follow Up By: Ross M - Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 18:48

Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 18:48
Kokoda = steep and slippery,
Platoon = more than just a couple.

I too think the names are a tad optimistic as it probably doesn't extend to that sort of concept.
However it may be a good thing, I haven't searched to find just yet, but interested to find out.

Many brands which have a "solid" reputation also have troubles as seen/reported many times on this forum.
A new offering may have it all under control.

Ross M
FollowupID: 788782

Follow Up By: Ross M - Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 19:17

Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 19:17
Just had a look and found it wasn't something Kokoda oriented at all but a 19'6' monster which weighs 2.3t tare and has a Cruze master suspension, The most important thing apart from being a big caravan is the suspension.
Unfortunately, "cruze master" doesn't mean anything to me as they don't mention what type of suspension it really is.
Pictures of the suspension or at least more info would be nice. They all have tables, beds, toilets etc etc etc.and look nice inside.
It isn't usually what the inside contains which people have concerns with or what gives trouble and lets them down when travelling.

Ross M
FollowupID: 788789

Reply By: Neil - ACT - Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 19:05

Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 19:05
Hi,

We recently took delivery of one of these caravans, and our initial experience is very positive. We believe that it will be able to tackle the roads/destinations that we have in mind for future trips. As always, it's a matter of travelling to the conditions if you don't want to risk damaging both the car and the caravan. Even the Bushtrackers and Kedrons can be damaged if this approach is not taken. We have read a post on another forum that several Kedrons were damaged during a trip to Cape York!

It's always an individual choice where to spend our dollars. After looking at similar caravans at the recent Melbourne Caravan Show, we decided that the X-Trail met our needs (build, fit out, features etc) for a reasonable price.
AnswerID: 510659

Follow Up By: Boof, Bairnsdale. - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 07:53

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 07:53
Thanks for the info. They are built in melbourne and I have looked into the suspension and it is a ripper. Neil, I agree that you need to watch where you take you gear. This will be our first van and our last because it has all that we could ask for. What vehicle are you towing your van with ?
FollowupID: 788820

Follow Up By: Neil - ACT - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 17:13

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 17:13
Hi,

We are towing with a Ford Ranger PX 3.2 litre diesel with the 6-speed auto. Per the car handbook, we tow with the auto in "sports" mode, which locks out 6th gear. The auto seems to change down to 4th at what I think is an appropriate change in gradient/load etc. We have replaced the standard Ford towbar with a Hayman Reese unit, as it is not possible to use weight distribution bars with the Ford towbar (absolutely ridiculous Mr Ford!!!).

Our last van was a Jayco Outback 17.55.3, towed with a NS diesel auto Pajero. Driving to the conditions, we have taken this rig through Broken Hill - Tibooburra - Innaminka - up the Arrabury Road to Birdsville - then down the Birdsville Track without any damage to the car or van. We have also been up to the Red Centre, and numerous shorter trips (to parts of Qld, NSW and Victoria) with that rig.

However, the Kokoda X-Trail with the Cruisemaster suspension is already demonstrably a much better caravan to tow. We have just returned from a "shakedown" trip to Lightning Ridge - including a trip out to the opal fields around Grawin/Glengarry, and everything was very stable. We weren't happy with the Hyland Hitch (standard fitment to the X-Trails), and almost immediately replaced it with a McHitch unit. These hitches are now standard on the Kedron caravans, and even after this one trip (to Lightning Ridge) we can understand why Kedron are now using the McHitch hitch.

We have some longer trips planned for the near future, and at this stage, we feel confident that the car and van will be "up for the challenge".
FollowupID: 788854

Sponsored Links