Willem's -Window Sox

Submitted: Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 16:38
ThreadID: 10211 Views:2228 Replies:3 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
OK! Willem you have sucked me in.

What are the - 2 Window Sox - you list in your rig inventory.

Regards

Ken Robinson

PS

Is that the 'mother of all dunes'.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stillthinkinaboutit - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 17:26

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 17:26
Hi Ken,

They keep the windows warm when the weather turns a bit cool !

Now seriously, they are like an insect screen with really fine mesh that cuts back the UV as well. Have a look at the following site.

Window Sox

Very good idea.

Regards, Mark
AnswerID: 45188

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (York) - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 18:10

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 18:10
has he listed the rubber boots on the steering arms ?99 GU Patrol 4.2 TD
Peter York 4x4
Whiskey 4501
FollowupID: 307281

Follow Up By: Member - Stillthinkinaboutit - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 18:24

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 18:24
Now Peter we all know you only use these when on Extremely Muddy tracks. They are really an essential part of your recovery gear just like a snatch strap, no need to list them. :)
FollowupID: 307285

Follow Up By: Member - Ken - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 18:52

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 18:52
Thanks for the promt reply Mark.

An interesting product and site.

I actually thought poor old Willem had 'painted one picture to many', especially after that 'dune' pic. Enough to send anyone over the edge.

Ken Robinson
FollowupID: 307296

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 19:44

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 19:44
'lo Ken,

You may buy them at Autopro or alike for $40-$50 a pair. We made ours for $8

Don't know about the mother of all dunes. I think there is one in the Sahara Desert which is higher.

Cheers

WillemMove over Big Red..this is a dune!
320 metre sand dune, Sossusvlei,Namibia
(note myself and Suzuki in foreground)
AnswerID: 45203

Follow Up By: Member - Ken - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 20:04

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 20:04
Evening Willem

Now you really do have my attention with that remark of yours - 'we made ours.

I asume you have made yours for the driver/passenger doors on 'Red Myrtle -the G60'.

I would like to make something similar for the front doors of our Troopy.

So! can it be done and if so, what material do we use and what is your key advice as to undertaking such a project.

Appreciate your words of wisdom, as your have caught my interest on this one.

Thanks

Ken Robinson
FollowupID: 307313

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 20:51

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 20:51
G'day Ken,

Step 1...Go to Hardware store and buy sheet of fibreglass gauze big enough to cover both sides of both widows on Troopie.

Step 2.....Cut to size so that gauze drops below window bottom ledge
( the bit where you hang your arm out ).

Step 3....Take cut pieces to missus and ask her to sew together on sewing machine.

Step 4....Take finished product and fit over open doors. Close doors. Wind window down. You have SOX!

Step 5...Wind windows down to whichever level that is comfortable when camping or when driving.

Hope the instructions are clear as mud :-)))

Cheers,

WillemMove over Big Red..this is a dune!
FollowupID: 307320

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 20:57

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 20:57
Hope thats SAFE SOX Willem!If you hold your heart and focus,
you will end up holding your dream
FollowupID: 307322

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 21:27

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 21:27
Bonz.....at my age I don't care.....so any SOX is SAFE SOX :-)Move over Big Red..this is a dune!
FollowupID: 307326

Follow Up By: Member - Ken - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 22:43

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 22:43
Loud and clear Willem.

Bunnings first thing on the weekend and I reckon by COB Saturday I'll have two of the best 'window sox' around.

Just goes to show what a tad of lateral thinking and keeping it simple does.

Reminds me of the Americans spending billions of US$ developing a pen that would write in the non gravitation of space.

The Russians just used a 6c (kopek) pencil.

Thanks for the advice mate.

Ken Robinson
FollowupID: 307336

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 17:59

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 17:59
Yes Ken, then the Russians found that their cosmonauts were becoming unwell at a rapid rate and none of their scientists could solve the riddle why. What they found eventually was that the Cosmonauts had been directly ingesting the minute lead shaving residue from the pencil writing that wasnt filtered out by the ships filtration system and it was making them crook. I wonder how many cosmonauts you could buy for a lazy Billion.If you hold your heart and focus,
FollowupID: 307412

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 17:59

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 17:59
Yes Ken, then the Russians found that their cosmonauts were becoming unwell at a rapid rate and none of their scientists could solve the riddle why. What they found eventually was that the Cosmonauts had been directly ingesting the minute lead shaving residue from the pencil writing that wasnt filtered out by the ships filtration system and it was making them crook. I wonder how many cosmonauts you could buy for a lazy Billion.If you hold your heart and focus,
FollowupID: 307413

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 02:34

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 02:34
Ken and others in this thread - you may recall that we have been talking of Window Sox for a couple of years now and this item is suggested in the Travelling with Kids page. I have been talking with Shevron, the manufacturers to see if we could stock them in our shop as up until recently WA was the only place you could get them. The margin is very very average and I fear you may not buy them from us, as you might be able to get them at a better price now that they are widely available Australia-wide. I see that they are now in Big W! By the way, I was given a password and user login to their website to begin the ordering process (there are about 400 different models to choose from) and when I gave them feedback that the login they gave me didn't work, I never received a reply - that was in October 2003. Still no reply. Needless to say, its not worth us dealing with them. Suggest you will soon find these readily available at auto stores Australia wide too. They are great - but a bit exy at around $40 a pair and trees easily rip them and they are useless when wet as they stick to the window and impair visibility. I use them religiously for the backwindows to eliminate glare, heat during summer and during trips. And when they rip tape em up till we get home to buy another set. Luckily, the first set were given to me by a friend who sold her 4WD and they are not one size fits all so it was useless to her, and the 2nd set were a sample from Shevron and I haven't yet ripped these. Regards Michelle,
Spread the word - ExplorOz.com
AnswerID: 45246

Follow Up By: Matt (W.A.) - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 09:46

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 09:46
Michelle,
I totally agree with you about the Sox when their wet My Wife has them on our 2002 Astra and their positively impossible to see out of when their wet, I think that Willem’s idea of using the Fibreglass Gauze may be a little better as it may not stick to the window as much. I would only put them on once “Parked Up” whilst camping the only take 20 seconds to put on/take off. This also stops the chance of ripping them.
Keep It On The Rough Stuff

Matt (W.A.)
FollowupID: 307351

Sponsored Links