Dtronics for GU Patrol 3.0TD

Submitted: Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 17:05
ThreadID: 10213 Views:3628 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I have searched and read the threads on Dtronics for 3.0TD patrols and invariably all who have them love it.

So, before I spend my hard earned $$$ on a Dtronic, has any owners got a BAD word to say aboyt them???

Everything I hear is good, almsot to good to be true hence my "wanting" to hear a negative side. Or is this one of those rare products that actually meets and exceeds the customers expectations?

I have now done 7,500kms in my new patrol and while I love the power it has, one can never have too much, especially at low revs.

Cheers

Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 17:56

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 17:56
It is one of those rare products, you wont be sorry you spent the money.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 45194

Reply By: hoffy - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 18:55

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 18:55
I too have fitted one to the 3.0l auto Patrol and couldn't be happier. The difference is amazing.
Yet to try it with the caravan in tow ( the main reason I fitted it) but I expect it will make a good tow vehicle even better.
If you have the bikkies to buy it; do it
Cheers
Graeme
AnswerID: 45197

Reply By: brian - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 20:21

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 20:21
Mark,all the reports are good as you say,HOWEVER i understand that even if you remove the unit prior to servicing by your friendly nissan dealer they can still evidence that you have had the unit fitted.For me i wouldnt want to have a warrenty claim knocked back by nissan because of the unit.
An engine is around $20000 too much risk for me but maybe ok for you.your choice.
AnswerID: 45213

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 23:28

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 23:28
warranty shouldnt be an issue, Roly has one with 35's, lockers, bashed, pics on the net of the front 4ft in the air, all the other shiat on his GU, his 3.0 did the usual 3.0 thing and blew holes in the pistons, and he got warranty.
FollowupID: 307338

Follow Up By: Old Johno - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 11:00

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 11:00
I had my 3.0 do the same thing, had a Dtronic fitted, Nissan replaced the motor & no comment was made about the Dtronic unit. Mind you it now sits disconnected by the dealer & Safari have informed me it is a good idea not to use it until I have about 5,000 km on the clock. [Mainly to prove out the new motor for any further faults]

Have a good one
FollowupID: 307488

Reply By: macandjen - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 20:50

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 20:50
Hate to be a blonkhead but what is a Dtronic? I have never even seen the name before. I have a new 3.0 ltr turbo and if it is not an issue with warranty might consider anything for power increase.

Thanks,

Go the Patrol!!
AnswerID: 45215

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 20:55

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 20:55
macandjen, noone is a blonkhead on this forum except me. A D-trinoc is a electronic chip made by Safari (I think) that remaps the engine management and maximises the fuel/air etc for each point throughout the rev range of the vehicle. Its results in more power, more tractability and more smiles from the drivers! You might have seen or read about "powerup chips" for high performance vehicles such as Porches (not the awful looking Cayenne, the majestic 911), the d-tronic is one of these for a 3.0L patrol. Hope that helpsIf you hold your heart and focus,
you will end up holding your dream
FollowupID: 307321

Follow Up By: macandjen - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 21:13

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 21:13
Thanks Bonz, yep think I will wait until out of warranty. I have no doubt with the computers now days that Nissan would know you had one. How much are they by the way?

Go the Patrol!!
FollowupID: 307324

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 21:22

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 21:22
Somewhere in the vicinity of $1500. My Nissan guy reckoned that if the failure was not attributable to the D-tronc then it would be OK, I am not so sure but intend getting one this year, just having purchased two years extended warrantlyIf you hold your heart and focus,
you will end up holding your dream
FollowupID: 307325

Reply By: Mark - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 21:41

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 21:41
Thanks guys for the swift response, it helped tip my decsion in fitting it this afternoon (but the wife wants a few choice words with you all....)

I decided to get the Dtronic chip after ARB offered to let me "try before you buy". So have just fitted it and taken for its first drive.

Started the vehicle and was no noticeable difference at idle (der!!!). Taking off in 1st and...well hard to tell, was so keen to try and notice any difference that I needed to relax. Just drove normally for a while to take it in.

So, the main noticeable thing so far is the boost in low end power. I can now comfortably idle around suburban corners in 3rd and accelerate smoothly from 1,000rpm. I also seems to be smoother on the typical 1,500rpm to 2500rpm.

While it is very early days (hours!!!), first impressions are that it does what it (and all owners) say, it boosts power by a noticeable level. Will be interesting to see the difference on the daily freeway "carpark" grind tomorrow. Normally flicking between 2nd and 3rd, hopefully will leave it in 3rd now - time will tell.

As for the comments on warranty, i have been told that Nissan cannot tell the difference between the ECU being removed and the battery being disconnnected. Simply shows up as a loss of connection/power. But even so, the 33" tyres, winch, dual batteries, snorkel, HF and UHF radios, electric brakes (for offroad van) etc... are just some of the many mods that can all "affect" my warranty. Adding a Dtronic simply adds to the list. But while I may live to regret it, live is too short to worry that much.

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 45221

Follow Up By: Lyds - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 00:00

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 00:00
Thanks for the detailed description Mark. Let us know how it goes.Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
FollowupID: 307464

Sponsored Links