SATELLITE DISH INQUIRY

Submitted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 10:29
ThreadID: 102137 Views:1634 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have two Satellite dishes being the Large 85cm and the other the fold up smaller 60cm one both from Itech in WA. We are heading off this time full time on the road for a year or three and want to know which is the best one to take.
We have been advised that up north Queensland, and the NT you cannot get reception with the smaller dish.
Could some of you old hands at travel please advise us if this is the case, so that we can decide which one to take. We will be running a Vast box with it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: K&FT - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 10:57

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 10:57
G'day Des, Lynley and Millie,

Having done some touring up that way, I found the 85cm dish was much easier to aim and worked better during rain(what's that?).

I have been using sat systems for around 15 years and the 85cm dish is certainly the way to go in my book.

Mine hangs over the spare wheel and is secured with ratchet straps.

hope that helps
frank
AnswerID: 510786

Reply By: landseka - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 11:11

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 11:11
Ditto on the 85cm dish, you will not regret it. Save the little one to fix to your roof at home as a permanent installation.

I hope the LNB arm is the type that quickly removes with one, or maybe two wingnuts.

If not already done, fix a pole to your van's A Frame to mount the dish when parked appropriately, and carry a tripod if you must move the dish away from the van to clear trees.

You will find you can get a perfect signal THROUGH the van but not through trees. I have had mine on the A frame pointing directly behind the van with the LNB under the front window awning. Any tree in the way though, forget it.

Cheers Neil
AnswerID: 510789

Reply By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 00:48

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 00:48
I needed to replace a dish in Carnarvon, and was advised by the supplier/technician that you needed the larger dish in the north of Australia. I have had no problems with the resulting purchase.

regards
Laurie
AnswerID: 510837

Sponsored Links