Keep River or Gregory NP?

Submitted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 10:49
ThreadID: 102145 Views:1420 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Our family is planning to camp overnight at one of these parks on our way across to the Kimberley. If you had to choose between the two, which would you go to? I'm leaning towards Keep, but would love to hear if there is a must-see spot at either?
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 11:08

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 11:08
Hi Carolyn,

Keep River is a must-see. It has Bungles type rock formations and is very scenic. There are two campgrounds, with drop toilets and minimal water. There is a very good walk in the southern section of the park that will take maybe a couple of hours to do, and a longer walk out from the northern campground that goes through some very interesting country.

Gregory is OK - the campground is near an old (but small) homestead/outstation and old cattle yards.There are some interesting limestone formations on the road in. If you cant do both I would choose Keep R.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 510788

Follow Up By: rooster350 - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 14:54

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 14:54
There is plenty of fresh drinkable water from the tap on the left hand side of the road going into Keep River....we were there 3 yrs ago and were told to take as much as we liked but boil it before drinking.....the boil the water bit was simply to cover his backside...it is lovely fresh spring water,(and we did not boil it) and yes it is a great park.Have not been to Gregory so cannot comment on it. Cheers...
FollowupID: 788903

Reply By: caseh - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 20:28

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 20:28
Hi Carolyn.

easy choice. Keep River all the way. I spent a few weeks last year between Katherine and Kununurra and stopped of at various sites, including both of the NP's.
Keep River is definitely the better one. Fresh water available. Scenery to dye for. I will be stopping there again this August for sure!

Happy travels, cheers, Case
AnswerID: 510922

Sponsored Links