03 RA Rodeo diesel cuts out after start

Submitted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 11:21
ThreadID: 102147 Views:12755 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,
there have been some EXTREMELY similar posts/threads on this issue but seem to revolve around the petrol engine so I thought I'd try afresh for the diesel.

OK, I turn the key and sometimes it won't even crank and the check engine light flashes, sometimes it will start but run for a second and then die and the check engine light flashes.

Reading other threads and other forums they are all recommending to change the fuel cut off solenoid / fuel pressure regulator / suction valve etc but I'm starting to think these only relate to the petrol engine as I can't see any of these devices on my vehicle. much searching on the web can't seem to turn up these parts for a 4JH1 motor which makes me suss. All I see is a fuel pump. Wires in, hoses in and pipes out etc

I do see the EGR which I am resistant to pulling apart just yet as it seems to be a fuel issue. I am also yet to change the fuel filter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member - mazcan - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 11:29

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 11:29
hi Robert rodeo

1check the wires going to/on your starter from the key switch
2 check the wire going to the fuel pump solenoid cut-out
sound like a loose connection to me
hope this helps
cheers
AnswerID: 510790

Reply By: Member - J&R - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 15:53

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 15:53
It does not sound like a fuel issue if it doesn't even crank to begin with.
It may be a fuel issue further along but it sounds electrical to begin with and that is where I would start.
AnswerID: 510807

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 17:19

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 17:19
Robert rodeo
Not sure if this is the problem but, on some vehicles both petrol and diesel, when the key is turned to on and then start, it does start, but upon release of the key it returns to the normal ON position but the contacts in the Ign switch suddenly stop supplying a RUN signal to the electrics.

You didn't mention if the dash lights up or not OR if it does, is the dash dying too when the engine stops?

Just helps trying to solve the puzzle if other associated happenings are also observed.
Cheers
Ross M
AnswerID: 510811

Reply By: Member - John D, Wandong (Vic) - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 18:47

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 18:47
Hi Robert Rodeo, I have a 2005 TD Rodeo and the same thing happens to mine now & then!
When the check engine light flashes I take the key out of the ignition and re-insert it and try again, majority of times it starts and stays running so don't know if there is any signifigance in removing the key but it seems to work!
Another thing to be aware of...at the start of my last trip the check engine light would come on and stay on while the car was sitting on 100 km/h, the car would then slowly lose power and drop 10 to 15 km/h, after a couple of minutes the light would go out & the car would resume normal practice. It did this on & off between Bourke & Longreach, Longreach Holden determined that the EGR valve was faulty, the car ran perfect after the EGR valve was replaced!
Cheers John
AnswerID: 510816

Follow Up By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 10:57

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 10:57
Common problem with the RA Rodeo
FollowupID: 788980

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 10:20

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 10:20
Please don't go pulling apart and replacing things...... this can cost you more money and cause bigger problems.

It sounds like an electrical problem because you have said

QUOTE"OK, I turn the key and sometimes it won't even crank and the check engine light flashes, sometimes it will start but run for a second and then die and the check engine light flashes."

First thing I would do is check battery voltage, second thing is to connect a set of jumper leads and a fully charged battery and see what happens.

Other then that there is not much you can do and it would be advisable to seek professional help.

There could be a number of things causing it from bad terminals in a connector, a bad switch, bad body earths, faulty ignition relay or relays....... and a raft of other things including incompatible key or key sensor or module.

Has your vehicle got an aftermarket engine immobiliser/alarm fitted?

I would suggest professional help.
AnswerID: 510860

Sponsored Links