Windows CE car GPS & Ozi

Submitted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 11:25
ThreadID: 102148 Views:2161 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I have been running a unlocked Navman S50, which is Windows CE, and using Oziexplorer with the Hema Aust 4WD maps for a number of years. This has worked well but the Navman is starting to give problems. I am looking for a 7" Windows CE car GPS to replace this with. There are number of units listed on online stores, I would be interested to here from anyone that has been down this path and what brands they have used.

Thanks Kevin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 12:30

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 12:30
hi 116 hynes,
I have gone away from the Navman and now use Garmin and Hemma, I find them to be as good as anything going around at the moment. I suppose it is like the tyres and car theory, everyone has their horror stories good and bad. it is what you want to get out of the units and you are the only person you have to keep happy and the cook too nearly forgot about her L O L. have fun trying to get your head around all the different products I did.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 510792

Follow Up By: Mark C - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 12:51

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 12:51
Broodie, as you have the soft ware the ebay specials would be the way to go. You will get one fr around $80.00 with bracket etc.

cheers
FollowupID: 788897

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 13:27

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 13:27
You'ld be bloody mad to buy a CE device these days. The resolution is awful, they usually can't take more than 4G or memory and Microsoft has dropped all support for it.

Get a cheap $100 android tablet with GPS and Oziexplorer or androizic.

Better resolution, more storage, and 700,000 more apps.

You can even get a big android phone on a plan foe little extra cost over the service.
AnswerID: 510797

Follow Up By: KennyBWilson - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 02:30

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 02:30
the CE 5 can take up to 8 or 16 gb cards but the andriod is a better option and you can do a lot more than the 7 in chinese gps
FollowupID: 788945

Follow Up By: WBS - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 09:10

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 09:10
I started out with a 7" GPS that has served me well for over 3 years and going strong.Mine is capable of and does run a 32GB SD card.

Recently I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab2, 10.1 tablet. Out of pure curiosity, I purchased a beta version of OziExplorer for Android and loaded it. It works very well but is too big to mount of the front windscreen.

When my 7" GPS dies I will replace it with a 7" Samsung Tablet. It is much newer technology and far better resolution.

There are a few things to consider in your in the hunt for an Android Tablet.
- Make sure the tablet has a built in GPS. Some units only include a GPS if the unit also has 4G capability. Be aware of this.

- Make sure the tablet you buy has a micro SD card slot as this will enable you to load all the maps and photos etc you want without the drama of managing the storage capacity. I use a 32GB Micro SD card in mine.

- Don't expect to use an Apple Ipad to run Oziexplorer. It won't. You can use the Ipad as a navigation device with say the Hema app but I'll leave that to others to explain. Be aware that the Ipad only has a built in GPS. Also be aware that the Ipad does not have an external storage capacity (Micro SD card slot).

WBS
FollowupID: 788964

Follow Up By: WBS - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 09:38

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 09:38
Sorry, that last paragraph should read"

"Don't expect to use an Apple Ipad to run Oziexplorer. It won't. You can use the Ipad as a navigation device with say the Hema app but I'll leave that to others to explain. Be aware that the Ipad only has a built in GPS in the $G capable version. Also be aware that the Ipad does not have an external storage capacity (Micro SD card slot)."

WBS
FollowupID: 788966

Follow Up By: WBS - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 09:40

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 09:40
I give up!!! Why isn't there an Edit option on this forum. I'm sure it would result in far fewer follow ups especially when I'm responding!

I mean 4G not $G

WBS
FollowupID: 788967

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 09:50

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 09:50
Annoying ain't it Warb.

Also be aware that the Samsung Tab 2 ( and most tablets claiming to only take 32G) will also take a 64G Micro SD. Get the Sandisk 64G which is about $65 from a decent computer shop and it will just slot in and work. I have tried it on the Tab 2, and Asus TF300.

FollowupID: 788971

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 10:18

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 10:18
Hi Wbs, I don't know if you are aware of this but this is how I use this reply part of the forum........... before submitting a response I go to spell check then to preview and if there are any errors or other material that I want to put into the conversation I go to return to edit and put in what needs to be put in, and then back to preview and spell check and then if all is correct then I will submit, like you it took me a while to get my head around how to use the site in my opinion properly. I hope this is of some help to you.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 788976

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 14:23

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 14:23
WBS This is way off top*** but if I remember I use word and then simply copy and paste it to this edit window. Doing it this way has the adavantage that I can still get to the whole thread while composing.

Phil
FollowupID: 789001

Sponsored Links