How do I read me thread?

Submitted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 14:51
ThreadID: 102151 Views:1855 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I've never really got to grips with the structure of this forum, but now I'm really confused. I wrote a "discussion" reply to the Free Camping article, which initially appeared in the postings list. Now it seems to appear only in the list of replies to that article (on the articles own page), and it says there is a reply to my post... but how do I read that reply?

Is there a trick that I'm missing?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 15:17

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 15:17
Warb,
I don't think you can as those articles are controlled documents that I guess are vetted by the exploroz team.

I have just sent an email and asked if they would place that caravan dynamics article in their caravan and camper trailer articles. They would have to make sure it didn't upset any copyright rules.

AnswerID: 510803

Follow Up By: Warb - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 16:08

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 16:08
My post appeared in the forum, along with a couple of others that are still there now - like "Comment Free Camping by Berylvt".
But now it's gone. I've actually received an email notification of the reply I got, with the usual "click to view thread online", but when I click it I just get the forum home page.

I'm guessing somebody has simply deleted it! I wonder who it offended?? And why!!!

P.S. excuse the typo in the thread title... "my thread", obviously!!
FollowupID: 788910

Follow Up By: Rockape - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 17:17

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 17:17
Warb,
is this it.
There are a number of other issues involved here. Whilst it is easy to get caught up in issues relating to lost income for camp sites, etc. there are some other very important reasons why landowners (councils or private individuals) don't like people camping "just anywhere". For example, whilst I am sure that everyone here takes full responsibility for their own actions, we live in a very letigious society. No landowner wants to be sued because somebody had an accident on their land. As an extension of this, the camper has no idea about the potential hazards lurking on or around a nice looking piece of ground. Whilst the original article was concerned largely with crown land, let me give a personal example. I am a landowner, with both council and crown roads running through my property. I have leases on the crown roads, so they are treated as part of my farm and are not fenced. In fact like many other rural landowners I use cattle grids rather than fences to contain livestock and so have paddocks that are not fenced off from the (dirt) roads. Every now and then, somebody decides that it is OK to set up their camper/tent/caravan/motorhome on my land. I do not know if they think they are on crown land, or if they simply believe that if it's not fenced then nobody owns it. None has ever asked me first, even though my house is clearly visible from most of my property. The behaviour of my "guests" has mostly been OK (only a couple have decided that a camp fire was a good idea) and most have taken their rubbish with them. However what would happen if a bull had decided that it didn't like them being there and battered them or their equipment, or simply scatched an itch on their $200,000 motorhome? Or if that particular area had just been sprayed with herbicide or insecticide? They have no knowledge of what the possible risks are! Whilst I do not believe that any still exist on my land, at one time there were a large number of gold mining shafts left from the 19th century gold rush that were quite capable of swallowing a man on a horse - or a campervan! It is also of concern that people pick up weed seeds and spread them from place to place on their shoes and equipment - this probably doesn't even occur to most city dwellers, but it is a major problem. Most of the same problems exist on council owned land and unoccupied crown land. So, whilst as a camper I can understand the frustration of people watching "their" countryside being taken away, as a landowner I can understand the problems from the other side. Councils, being seen by lawyers as a prime target for law suits, must be even more concerned!
FollowupID: 788915

Follow Up By: Warb - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 17:28

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 17:28
Yes, that's the one.... and now it's back!!

Thank you to whichever moderator fixed it!!

FollowupID: 788917

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 17:33

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 17:33
It seems its a case of now you see it, now you don't. I cant see it on the forum now, but if you go to the newsletter and follow the article all the posts and follow ups are there. They have not been deleted.

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 788919

Follow Up By: Rockape - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 17:36

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 17:36
Warb,
unless there was an accident they always inform you and give a reason as to why they have locked a thread or removed a comment.

Sorry, I originally thought you were trying to add onto the article but I see I stuffed up as you were just commenting.

Have a good one.
FollowupID: 788920

Sponsored Links