Cycling Around Australia for Alzheimers Australia

Submitted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 20:59
ThreadID: 102157 Views:1629 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Walter is 61 ( a damn fit 61!) and cycling around Australia to raise money for Alzheimers Research.
We met Walter (the "silly" cyclist!) and his wife Deanne (his "support crew") in Hughenden and then again in Richmond a few weeks ago. Delightful people.
I kept forgetting to check in on Deanne's blog to see where they were up to and I was amazed to find they're in the top of WA!
If you're on the road, look out for them. You may, like us, have the pleasure of camping near them and hear of their journey. Don't forget to make a donation, too!
Or, if you're dreaming of travelling this beautiful country one day, check out www.bettenonbike.com.au. There are some gorgeous photos that will start you packing!!
Camped near a bloke in Thargomindah last September who was driving a tractor around Australia for prostate research (painted on the back of the van was a sign that said something like "While you sit and watch my rear, think of your own!!")
Makes you wonder how many "crazy" people there are on bikes (with numb bums!) and/or doing their lap for charity.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: byronbryan - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 23:40

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 23:40
Hi Robyn and thanks for the information.

I don’t want this to appear cynical but there are a few facts that often cause me great concern with all of these efforts . Altruism or not, in many cases, naturally the first costs to come out of any fund raising efforts are those associated with meeting the expenses of the trip.

You know, some years ago I followed the efforts of someone who was going to run/walk/fly (tick one) around Australia for a worthy cause. People on this site championed his cause. He was given a hell of a lot of equipment gratis including a vehicle. Watching the website for 8 months, he was having a ball. Yes he stopped at towns every now and then, appeared in one or two local papers etc. Sum total of assistance to his chosen cause at the end of twelve months touring around Australia....$265.00. Everything else went to meeting his expenses on the trip of a life time. Thanks for the Waeco fridge, vehicle, EO membership and a shipload of other stuff that allowed him to undertake something that had been a passion of his in the first place!

All strength to the people you mention but in many cases, the reality is greatly different than the projected benefits. As one who is actively involved in charity work at a local community level, I'm somewhat more cautious in my outlook these days.

BB.
AnswerID: 510833

Follow Up By: Robyn R4 - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 15:09

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 15:09
If in doubt, find out where to mail your money to.
But don't put everyone into that "bad apples" basket.
:)
FollowupID: 789008

Follow Up By: Member - Royce - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 22:10

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 22:10
I'm turning 60 next Saturday. Two days later, I'll load my bike on to a plane and head off for UK.
I plan to ride my bike end to end, Land's End to John O'Groats and across England and back as well... kind of zigzag. I should cover 2000ks, camping all the way.

I considered looking for sponsorship, but just the thoughts above put me off. Everyone seems to be at it... good on them if they are fair dinkum, but I have to admit that this is just for me. Can I do it? I'm giving myself a 50/50 chance of completion.
FollowupID: 789033

Follow Up By: Robyn R4 - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 10:33

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 10:33
Hey Royce! Good on you!
Maybe "everyone" is doing it because they, like Walter, have a bit of a wild dream and then a seed plants itself...hey, what about at the same time I try for charity.
It was a wild idea of Walter's to cycle around Aus, and then a dear friend died with Alzheimers, so that sparked things along for him. I can't remember how much he was hoping to raise, but it was about $2 per km (how many kms is it around Aus?!)
I'm sure that while you're cycling, Royce, it will open your eyes to amazing things and change you.
Congratulations to you, and I sincerely hope you are satisfied with your achievements, even if you don't do all you had hoped!
Cheers to your numb bum!
:)
FollowupID: 789064

Sponsored Links