In vehicle navigation equipment

Submitted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 11:58
ThreadID: 102167 Views:1645 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning all and Happy mothers day to all of the Mums out there travelling, this is for the guru techno people . I have a Nissan Pathfinder 2012 ti 550, it has an in dash gps and map installed from the manufacturer the problem is the maps section of the system is 2008 year and needs to be up dated as it is missing a lot of the newer roads and freeways hear in Perth let alone the rest of the country. Nissan want to charge me $850.00 to do an upgrade, to the system. what I want to know is there any way that I could connect up a computer and upgrade the system my self, as I have a couple of other gps's that have more map and street smart detail than what is in a supposedly new vehicle, any clues will be greatly appreciated
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mad Habits - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 14:19

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 14:19
Nissan as a company are useless, think about it you bought a new car with outdated maps loaded - maybe a call to fair trading will get them to update the maps to at least the 2012 versions, after all it is a 2012 car not a 2008 one!

Try a threat to Nissan outlining what your intentions are with fair trading and unless they stipulated that you get 4 year old maps with the navigation system in a $75,000 NEW CAR!
They may decide it is easier to just upload to your system rather than go through the hastle, after all some will pay the $850 those that kick up a stink may just get it to shut them up as it will be common practice throughout their entire range to install outdated maps.
Also advise them that if you are forced too by their inaction, that you will also ensure exposure to as many forums as you can find over the next few years!
See if they think that will cost them any sales, even if they only lost one sale of the cheapest car in their range thats going to cost them a lot more than the $850 they are trying to rip you off!

Don't hold your breath with the customer service off Nissan as they prefer not to hear from you, eventually I bet they update you without payment - Good luck!
AnswerID: 510880

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 15:57

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 15:57
I agree with Mad Habits, re the maps and how to achieve some up to date mapping files on your system.
Broodie, you are having the same trouble as most BT50/Ranger owners are having, where they bought the latest vehicle to drive on the latest roads but find the maps supplied were current BEFORE the vehicle was designed and production started.

I also think the approach to Nissan or Mazda or any of the other customer service departments is a waste of time, as they are there to limit the interaction, not provide a degree of fairly applied integrity when dealing with their customers.

Customer relations? They would rather not have any relations with customers.

In another post relating to customer service, tyres I think it was) one reply said to go back to the dealer, "just common courtesy".
Well, the whole motoring industry is geared to take advantage of customers who do the common courtesy thing and the customer nearly always loses when they thing this way.

GO TO THE TOP. and yes consult with Fair Trading so you know what is currently being accepted as the fair and legal position.

You should take the dealer for a drive to the nowhere roads and see how he handles the navigation of what isn't there.
Cheers
Ross M
AnswerID: 510887

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 10:02

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 10:02
Thanks for the advice fellas but that did not answer the question that I asked, does anybody know if there is a way to connect up a computer to the navigation system, so that I can update it myself. Nissan Morley have been most helpful with the advice on the mapping system, and they do the upgrade for a price and fair trading have said that it is a standard across the motor vehicle industry for the upgraded system to be put in the new shape and model and seeing as how this model and shape has been around since 2006/7 they are with in there rights to have that system in the vehicles until the model is changed, and still call it new now the ti55o has only been out since 2011 but still in the same body style as the earlier 4 cylinder ones so the upgrade of the navigation system will not occur until the new body style arrives in Australia, and that is how Nissan explained it to me. Me I am just trying to find away around not paying the $850 for the upgrade and according to Nissan they will need the vehicle for a minimum of two hours, so if any one knows how to do it would you be kind enough to share your wisdom with me please
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 789061

Sponsored Links