Birdsville to Innaminka

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 24, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1022 Views:1542 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Could someone please tell me what the track is like between Birdsville and Innaminka via Walkers Crossing. Is the track well defined ,hard or easy going. I have a well set up 80 series and have done many desert crossings but do not know much about this track ....Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Greg - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2002 at 00:00
Steve,

I'm also interested in doing this track but the SA desert parks bulletin has indicated for some time that due to landowner problems with Clifton Hills station the track is closed at the Birdsville track end.

I'm keen to know if this is a general closure. Anybody have any information?
AnswerID: 3087

Reply By: Mike - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2002 at 00:00
Steve, due to insurance problems, this track and others that are on Clifton Hills station are closed indefinately. I believe this is a general closure. Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 3089

Reply By: Michelle - ExplorOz - Thursday, Apr 25, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 25, 2002 at 00:00
We've done the Walkers Crossing at a time when it wasn't restricted to the public but even then the locals did not like to advise tourists to use it. We went with Karsten (who at the time worked at both the Birdsville Pub and the Innamincka Pub and often had to commute between the two). This has always been the locals route but even with him in the vehicle with us it was difficult to navigate. It twists and turns and there are no markings and tracks going off everywhere. It is also unmaintained. It has been closed to public access now for at least 18mths. You are just going to have to accept that this is a "no go" route. Sorry :-(
AnswerID: 3093

Reply By: Ruth - Saturday, Apr 27, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Apr 27, 2002 at 00:00
I live in the area and agree with Michelle. It does twist and turn and during the summer when the winds blow strongly the bull dust holes are bad. Please, please - respect the wishes of the owners. Do not go where you are asked not to go. I see travellers all the time who feel that Australia is theirs and can go where and when they like. The Ki and Walkers Crossing - at this time - are NO GO. It is hoped that the SA Government and the property owners will have reached some agreement soon.
AnswerID: 3157

Reply By: Rob Roy - Friday, Jun 07, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 07, 2002 at 00:00
Is apparently open again after new Bill has been passed in SA Parliament. Source was SA road report (said is was due to open very soon) and reception at Innamincka pub (by phone) who said it was already open.

Hoping to try it myself in last week of June! Will let you know then.

Rob
AnswerID: 4069

Follow Up By: Steve Bass - Friday, Jun 07, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 07, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for the info Rob will be keen to know your outcome. Have a great trip hear from you when you get back.
FollowupID: 1740

Sponsored Links