Reduction gears for touring?

Submitted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 06:54
ThreadID: 102215 Views:1995 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I've a Nissan patrol gu that has modest gearing in low range. It's common for guys that go "wheeling" to install reduction or crawler gears to improve low speed control in the patrol gu.

In my camping trips, which are mostly to locations within 3 or 4 hours drive from Sydney, i would've like reduction gears on a number of occasions when getting to some hard-to-access locations. But I haven't done much outback touring yet.

Are low range reduction gears worth installing for outback touring?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mikehzz - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 07:30

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 07:30
For 99% of outback touring on all the main 'tracks', you won't even be in 4wd high let alone low range. That changes in the desert, but a standard Patrol pretty much has the goods to handle the situation. The most important things out there are good tyres, extra spare and the pressure you run. A lift helps as well.
AnswerID: 511075

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 11:27

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 11:27
I don't know what type of patrol GU you have Yagon , but 44% reduction gears have been a big help to my 2010 4800 particularly downhill as I had no options but to get an auto as the petrol manuals stopped being made 2006.

The reduction gears mean low revs when touring in high range as 285/75/16 or 255/85/16 tyres can be used all the time.
The whole setup means I can be sure about cruising at under 14lt/100 now.

One thing , the snow mode switch on my auto 4800 has given more control than any of the mods I have done (except lockers in certain situations).
And it comes free, so be sure to check yours out.

If its a diesel 3lt - I don't know about there snow mode switch.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 511089

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 12:27

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 12:27
Yagon
The steep stuff is only where steep is, most isn't.
Robin spoke of reduction gears.
It seems his are reduction of overall high range which is also part of the low range when selected.
If you haven't got BIG tyres you won't require high range to be altered to restore the overall gearing in high range.
I think you are just wanting greater reduction in low range. Nice in some places but unless you frequently need it that option may not be very well used.
It all depends on how the reduction systems are arranged in the gear sets.
Make sure you sift out of replies exactly what is meant and how it is/maybe an advantage to you.

Ross M
AnswerID: 511090

Reply By: Member - John - Friday, May 17, 2013 at 06:46

Friday, May 17, 2013 at 06:46
Short answer, No, not for desert touring. For work in mountains, yes, nice to have, but not essential.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 511209

Sponsored Links