Yellow or amber fog lights.

Submitted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 08:41
ThreadID: 102217 Views:3137 Replies:3 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
The bullbar on the car is bent and needs replacing. We are getting the ARB Deluxe Winch bar.

Does anyone know where we can get some yellow or amber fog lights or even some covers for the plain white ARB ones?

I would prefer yellow glass coloured lenses.

Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 09:52

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 09:52
Phi;l,
you can buy ipf fog lights off arb for the bar which are yellow or amber depending on how you see the world.

I will never know why these new vehicles have clear lenses in fog lights. Maybe they know something we don't.
AnswerID: 511083

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 10:17

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 10:17
Hi RA.

I asked ARB and they said they do not sell any that will fit into the round holes in the bar where their round clear ones go. I can get a couple of rectangular IPF ones but am hoping for the right ones in the right holes.

They fitted the crappy clear ones from the old Ironman bar in it.

I just went and had a look at the car. NO PINSTRIPING!!! All that good work gone. Even ended up with the dual Kaymar carrier instead of the single one. 10 points!!!

I will look at the IPF ones.

Thanks mate.

Phil
FollowupID: 789193

Reply By: Member - Andrew - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 18:48

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 18:48
Hi Phil

Ahh fog lights
I was originally told that yellow penetrated fog better and the light reflected back from the water droplests (fog) was less glary, however clear lenses are better to look at because it doesn’t clash with the car colour scheme. Hence as they became a fashion accessory instead of a driving aid, clear became dominant. There were also issues with the yellow fading when applied as a surface treatment instead of actually being yellow glass.
This would appear to mean that us older folks who can’t handle glare as well as youngsters would be better off with yellow.
Can I ask Phil,what you want them to do?
Reason I ask is that fog lights are meant to be used at low speed without headlights and they are intended to shine under the fog. Fog usually sits 30 to 50 cm above the road surface and the lights are meant to be mounted low so that they shine into that space. That is why they have such a wide beam with a sharp cutoff control upward light.
Most of what I see on 4x4 bullbars are mounted too high to be fully effective without causing excessive reflection off the fog. I do understand they will get smashed if you have them under the bar.
If you want them to provide additional close in and cornering light on slow windy stuff then perhaps the colour is irrelevant?

What are your thoughts

regards

Andrew
AnswerID: 511112

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 21:02

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 21:02
Hi Andrew

Thanks for the response.

I do need them as actual yellow coloured fog lights and mounted low in the bull bar.

Definitely not white fashion accessories. In fact, since you say that, I am more convinced that I am doing the right thing. Me be fashion conscious!!!! Never mate! I don't even wear those stupid long camouflage "shorts".

I travel to Sydney through the southern highlands to footy games and return straight after them at night usually around midnight. I always get fog in the winter. The Toyota has been in the workshop for about four weeks and I have been driving a little Corolla without the yellow lights. I am not pleased with it.

So the chase is on to get the yellow fog lights to be fitted in the new bullbar.

But thanks to RA response I may have some. A set of Phillips all weather H3 globes in the ARB standard white fog lights. But there is a six week at least wait on delivery. That gives me time to search for better solutions.

Most of our trips are to the high country and there aren't many straights. So we aren't fitting any driving lights. The standard dual headlight system suit our needs.

Thanks for asking

Phil
FollowupID: 789250

Follow Up By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 21:08

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 21:08
Andrew
What you have said is right, I've got them in my bullbar and they are not worth turning on in foggy conditions. I mainly use them for day time running lights. More a cosmetic thing than any thing else.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 789251

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 21:20

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 21:20
Hi Murray

You may want to try what I mentioned above. ARB said that the Phillips All-weather H3 yellow globe fits the standard ARB "white" fogs lights that are in the Deluxe Winch bar.

The lights are delayed so I am sourcing other avenues for yellow lights etc.

Phil
FollowupID: 789253

Follow Up By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 21:45

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 21:45
Phil
My ligths use a H7 globe so cant change. You should try bursons for the yellow H3 philips globes,if they have not got them thet should be able to get them quicker than ARB.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 789256

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 21:56

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 21:56
Murray

I thought the ARB lights that came with the ARB Deluxe winch bar were H3's.

Crossed wires somewhere.

I also can't find those Philips all-weather ones that ARB told me about.

I can find plenty of yellow H3's in the UK but none here in Oz. Of course China has them down to $4.50. I prefer to buy local first.

?????

Phil
FollowupID: 789258

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 08:33

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 08:33
Phil, generally the older ARB ( actually IPF) lights are H3 and the newer ones are H7 or H11, some are even H4. You will need to check so you don't get the wrong bulbs.

Also I think you will find that yellow fog lights are getting harder to find simply because they are not as effective as white light. They do at first appear to work better because the yellow beams stand out compared to the white low beam, but if you compare white next to yellow in the same reflector, the difference is obvious. They are still commonly available in Europe because at several years ago they were required by law in France.

FollowupID: 789266

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 09:08

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 09:08
You believe the white is better and I believe the yellow is better for us. So be it and let's please not go there. Okay!!

Re the different globe fitting. That's another reason we are waiting for some to arrive before we buy the globes. I have located some IPAA from the US and UK that fit H3s, H4s and H7s. Not cheap though. But then again it's not a cheap "hobby" anyway.

Upgrade compatability: That's a joke to a lot of firms. It seems that they adhere to the "cheapest and newest is best" philosophy.

We wanted new lights for our Ironman Protector because the light fittings were rusting badly after just a few months. Yep they replaced the filament styled lights with some LED ones that didn't fit in the moulding. When approached I was basically told that they can't help and did not suggest or offer any solution. I suppose that we could have spoken to Consumer Affairs but we couldn't be bothered. I went to some trash and trasure markets and found some that "eventually" fitted the existing modified moulding. In other words. Stuff the customer if they need spares!!! This is the reason we went away from Ironman.

Catchya

Phil
FollowupID: 789268

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 09:52

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 09:52
Sorry for trying to help.
FollowupID: 789273

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 10:12

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 10:12
I really didn't want to get into a white or yellow is better discussion. That's been done many times. That's all. And what I am doing now is exactly that. Agreeing again with you and doing the same thing as you suggested. Checking. Please read it all again.

The rest was just agreeing with you about changes in compatibility between models and adding how I believe that the manufacturers do not appear to think of replacement and maintenance down the track.

Where was the criticism mate.

Boobook you totally took me the wrong way mate.

Phil
FollowupID: 789274

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 11:21

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 11:21
All good Phil. Maybe I did take it the wrong way. The main issue I wanted to highlight was the differnt bulbs but it seems you were across this.
FollowupID: 789283

Reply By: Rockape - Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 10:57

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 10:57
Phil,
I just had a look around and there are some H7 55w ones on ebay.

Foglight bulbs

Also you can get them out of the states manufactured by Nokya Korea. There is a distributor here in Australia with a name something like blinglights which sort of puts me off.

Here is one out of the states. Nokya yellow bulbs

AnswerID: 511158

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 11:18

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 11:18
RA

That name would put me off as well. But I will check them out.

What I plan to do is print this whole thread and just go from the top and see what's around. My brain has troubles sometimes so I have to make notes. I also ned to check out bursons, which were also recommended. By Murray from memory.

But I am not going to rush. As Boobook also pointed out, the sockets can change without notice. So I get the lights and globes in one go or get the lights first to make sure that they fit professionally and then get the right globes. But in the latter case I have to make sure the socket is widely used.

What I have to do though is get my mind around the "K" rating. Not sure that I know what all that means yet.

Fun hey.

Phil
FollowupID: 789282

Sponsored Links