Best suspension setup for touring with leaf sprung 75 series troopy

Submitted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 12:07
ThreadID: 102237 Views:5009 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a '94 75 series troopy. We are planning an overland trip shipping the troopy to India then through Central Asia to London then South through Europe and Africa onto Cape Town.

I've just sold my GU Patrol which I have toured oz extensive in. It had the OME 2" lift and 285/75/16's with tough dog 4 way steering dampener. I found this setup really effective especially over rough and corrugated roads, naturally with the right tire pressures.

Coming out of that into a fully leaf sprung troopy is like comparing apples and oranges.

It has tough dog foam cell shocks, from what I can tell the leaf springs are stock. There is some mention in the log books of having them "hot reset". Its also been fitted with airbags all round.

Inherently it will be rougher that the Patrol with the leaf springs, I can accept that. however I'm a tad worried due to the long hours we will be spending in the car and the various conditions we will encounter. Mainly because I'm paraplegic and have a bad back, as does my missus who under went serious spinal surgery in her younger years due to a severe scoliosis.

Either way I want to try and get the best all round setup for on road and off road performance with comfort in mind.

We are setting it up as a campervan so there will be significant weight in the back, further to that it is fitted with a bullbar, winch, side rails and DTS turbo kit so there is more weight in the front also.

I'm thinking of going the tough dog setup with the bigbore shocks and 2" lift with their leaf springs suited to our load. I've also got a set of BFG MT 265 75 16's which will probably add an extra 1" height. Bear in mind the troopy's body sits so much higher than the Patrol, transferring from my wheel chair into my lifted patrol is currently easier than transferring into the stock troopy!

Maybe I'm asking the impossible here but any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: allein m - Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 14:41

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 14:41
I have no suggestions but I do wish you the best on your trip it is a amazing trip I did the trip from UK to Australia as 12 yr old kid the easy way 4 weeks on the fair star in 1967
we did miss cape town as we were the last ship to pass via the Suez Canal canal in 1967 all other ships went via cape town

AnswerID: 511168

Reply By: Rod W - Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 21:59

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 21:59
I've got and have had a couple of troopies in the past. To me they are fantastic and very capable vehicles. They ride characteristic don't worry me but I suppose they are rough to ride in. So no matter what is done to the suspension won't change the ride. If your suspension is in good nick then rather than spend money on something that ain't going to change have you considered them air ride bouncy seats (don't know their proper name)?
AnswerID: 511196

Follow Up By: Member - VickiW - Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 23:05

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 23:05
I have a 76 & don't find the leaf springs that bad (earlier have had another 76 and before that patrols all with upgraded suspension) - but had the unfortunate experience this week of riding in one with recaro seats - now they were sooo much more comfortable & something I didn't plan on spending money on....
FollowupID: 789364

Reply By: rb30e - Friday, May 17, 2013 at 13:30

Friday, May 17, 2013 at 13:30
That's one thing I was looking into, the Stratos Suspension seats.

It is currently fitted with the standard static Stratos seats which are pretty good. Its a big ask though at over $4000 for both of the suspension seats, mounts and optional arm rests. This doesn't even include fitting!!!

Might get cheeky and ask work cover to pay for them, may be able to justify it as they cover all expenses related to my accident, cost nearly $3000 for the hand controls to be fitted. God bless QBE work cover!!!

AnswerID: 511237

Follow Up By: allein m - Friday, May 17, 2013 at 16:06

Friday, May 17, 2013 at 16:06
I too have major spinal problems and after surgery to remove a disk I went back to TAFE and meet a wonderful guy who had 2 breaks in his spine one was at chest height and other was lower down L level he had his injury in the 60s and life for people in a chair way back then was bad and well your price for hand controls $3000 reminded me of looking at his hand controls which were basically some wire and steel made by a the guy who was a welder before his accident but as he said way back then if you did not make it things for your self you had nothing he had to modified his house car all by him self limited compo then but he did end up marrying one of the nurses in Melbourne spinal unit
FollowupID: 789414

Sponsored Links