Buying a 92 Land Rover - please help

Submitted: Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 22:11
ThreadID: 10224 Views:1694 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
I've been half looking to purchase a 4x4 and am getting closer to actually doing it. I have found a 1992 Land Rover with 'bull bar, hayman reece tow-bar, 108,000km with RWC in Excellent Condition' (according to the ad). The price on this vehicle is $12,000. I have spoken to the current owner. He alleges he purchased the vehicle 3 years ago with 94,000km on the clock. At the time he had to replace the gear box due to the previous owner's careless driving (according to the owner).
This price seems to be quite good on a Land Rover with such low km's. Agreed?
What should I be looking out for or listening out for when I check the vehicle out?
Does anyone have an opinion on this particular Land Rover???

Cheers
Riley
rilovski@hotmail.com
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alex H - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 23:07

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 23:07
G'day,
first off - is it a Defender or a Disovery? As far as the mechanicals go that doesn't really matter, except that the v8 and auto gearbox are only available as standard on the Discovery, but it may have some bearing on whether thats a fair price or not.
Regarding the gearbox, up until 1996 (approx) there was a fault with the manual 'boxes that meant they failed if they got too hot, so its not down to the original owners bad driving - if it was replaced in 2000/01 it should have got the newer 'box and will therefore have no problems. If, however it was just replaced by the same unit from a wrecker who knows what may go wrong?
The easiest way to tell between the old and new boxes is where reverse is on the shift pattern - on the old ones it is beyond 1st and up, on the newer ones it is below 5th. Unfortunately I can't tell you whether landrover put the new box in when the old one failed or whether they just used a modified version of the old box. If Reverse is below 5th that answers my question too!
Apart from that the price sounds good - check for play in the rear diff - which may indicate worn splines where the half-shafts fit into the side gears - this is a problem with some of them -I'm not sure on the fix, as I've never had that problem with my Defender.
I can't give an overall opinion over the net, but if you're in Perth get Russell Booth at ARB Osborne Park to check it out - what he doesn't know about Landy's probably isn't worth knowing
Cheers,
Alex.
AnswerID: 45230

Follow Up By: riley - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 07:20

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 07:20
Oops, it's a discovery. Thanks heaps for the info on the gear box. It's a manual so I'll check that out.
FollowupID: 307349

Reply By: Brad and His Disco - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 09:46

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 09:46
Price sounds good,

First of all youll enjoy the comfort, power and willingness to go anywhere of the discovery. It is a good towing vehicle and if you have kids it provides excellent vision from the rear. Folding down rear seats provides enough room for a queen size air matress for those quick getaways. It sounds good with that many km on it.

As with any car it is advisable to check the following common problems:

Get engine mounts checked
Check drivers seat, bracket may break.
Check for potential rust near the roof windows
Check that the back retractable step retracts (if not you can getthem regassed or just remove the step).
Flush out radiator and replace radiator hoses.

Enjoy your new discovery.

Fraser .... Here we come
AnswerID: 45258

Sponsored Links