Canning Walker updates

Submitted: Friday, May 17, 2013 at 23:25
ThreadID: 102274 Views:2369 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Pam Armstrong has been on the CSR for almost two weeks now. Going strong. Starting from the south she has reached Well9 and 322km, walking around 30km per day on the harder track.

Andy and I leave Kalgoorlie for Wiluna tomorrow, 18 May and plan to be on the track by sundown. Different approach. Andy and I are digging in my supplies of food and water over the next 2-3 weeks, the length of the track. Come the first week of June, I expect to be in Billiluna and then my own walk begins. This is a solo walk without a support vehicle. It is likely to take 3-4 months due to carrying a pack weight and dodgy feet and back. I am prepared for a longer walk and intend to enjoy the view and look forward to chatting with Canning Travellers along the way.

My SPOT is linked to SPOT Walla so for those interested, you can watch the tortoises progress across the desert .... in really slow motion :-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 00:02

Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 00:02
Goodluck Gaynor,

A great challenge you have set for yourself.
Will you visit every well or maybe just follow the main trail, or a bit of both?

I may be able to come to your after party in Wiluna mid to late august (if you walk fast enough) :)

Take care out there!!

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 511285

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 03:07

Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 03:07
:-) Will see what I can do.

Not visiting every well. This is my third time on the Canning. I find the caved in wells depressing in their neglect. Will be sticking to the main track for the most part, but I expect to hold up at some of the wells. I want to explore Breadon Hills more and Lake Disappointment.

Cheers :-) and thanks for the interest.

g
FollowupID: 789480

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 10:06

Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 10:06
Thanks for the update Gaynor,

I and I'm sure many others will be watching your progress on SPOT with interest.

Burying your supplies is a good idea and I really hope that they aren't interfered with in any way. Lots of people will be on the CSR by the time you're ready to start your walk at Billiluna.

Like Alan I would also like to be in Wiluna to see you safely over the line and achieve your goal.

Stay safely Gaynor and all the very best.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 511294

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 12:02

Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 12:02
You guys are so cool :-) That would make me feel pretty awesome.

We have a detour this morning. An early morning call has Andy preparing to go out to a break down outside Warburton where a grader and a payloader working on roads have 'gone on strike' simultaneously. It means a few days delay while he puts them back together again. I am going out with him to site and we continue from there. SPOT will keep you updated.

The positive is that there is a guy there who has walked across Australia pushing a wheel barrow, so I have someone of interest to talk to. Meant to be, I guess :-)

I am really looking forward to being on the track. It has been a long preparation and this is the first time I have allowed myself to feel excitment.
FollowupID: 789495

Sponsored Links