Diamantina River Height

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 08:33
ThreadID: 10228 Views:2410 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Morning all, River is 7.8 metres and steady this morning. Up inside the town grid amongst the Rotary trees. No wind as yet today and temperature is a beautiful 24 degrees (didn't get above 22 yesterday). Clear sunny day and the water is sparkling in the early morning. Longreach had 55 mls yesterday which means the Thompson is rising again (this goes into Cooper Creek) and Monkira had 50 mls yesterday and the Diamantina there is now 4.0 (again) and rising. Still no word on what rain in the Simpson Desert, but there must have been some as the SA Road Report has William Creek to Oodnadatta closed.
About these Emu Recipes - we will have to start a book, another section on ExplorOz. How come you stick it up the poor duck so much - my word they are delicious tho.
It's so pleasant today I'm going to clean out the shed (a boy's shed - he won't be pleased).
The river came up so fast that the "critters" (Hello Willem) and wriggly fuzzy things did not have time to get out of the cracks. Our resident aeroplane is in Adelaide so we can't go for scenic tours. Happy Days.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 09:34

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 09:34
Ruth, Thanks for these reports. I find them interesting and a great insight to what's going on in an isolated town during a flood and the home grown entertainment that you obviously enjoy.Dare to Lead not to Follow
AnswerID: 45256

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 10:07

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 10:07
For enjoyment yesterday we all went round town several times to check home-made levels - sticks, stones on water's edge - had coffee (cappas), felt sorry for the chef at the Pub who only has us to cook for and we usually tell him how bad his cooking is (just joking), the school kids did a nature walk around town and then there are the boat trips. Today the school kids are walking down to see the baby Brolgas - I'm going to see them again to make sure no one ate them! Could probably cook them like quail. The first private plane came in to see the water - they were suitably impressed. The first of the charter companies rang to make bookings to come and see the water - thought there would have been more people flying in my now to have a look. I guess there is so much floodwater in Queensland it's a bit old hat. There was another dinner party last night - I had the night off - so ended up a boy's own party - and must have been good because 'bloke' is still in bed and it's past 9:00 a.m. Today - more chainsawing, coffee, midday movie (not more cricket), snooze, visiting, walking - so much to do and so little time.
FollowupID: 307479

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 10:41

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 10:41
Hello Ruth,

You don't miss a trick do you? (critters)...........:-)

Love your reports...can envisage whats happening.

Flood and water in the desert is fascinating. I grew up in a very dry part of South Africa and 10 inches of rain per year was a lot. Now in my retiring years I find myself living in a similar place (Peterborough SA) where rain is also a very important part of our daily life. We have not had a decent storm here since Feb 2001.

We hope that you do not get flooded out.

Regards

Willem1958 Patrol Pretty flash eh?
AnswerID: 45262

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 10:11

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 10:11
Willem, yesterday and again today we have the suicide of the hairy spiders. they are large bodied and long legged, grey, about the size of 50c piece. Lying on paths around complex being eaten by zillions of ants. Hundreds of them. Never seen them before - of the smaller tarantula family and obviously come out at night near safety light and eat all the little insects, then the sun must come up too quickly and they fall off the walls and bingo - deaded.
FollowupID: 307480

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 10:43

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 10:43
Hello Ruth,

Your spiders sound like a variety of Huntsman. We get a few around here. They like living indoors or in cracks in the walls. All the dampness has stirred your spiders and they are trying to escape. It is amazing what nature can put on display when a flood comes along.

Stay safe,

Regards,

Willem1958 Patrol Pretty flash eh?
FollowupID: 307484

Reply By: betoota - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 10:56

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 10:56
Great reports Ruth, have been to Birdsville many times for the races and am hanging out for lots of watery photos, specialy from the hill at CP looking towards the lagoon where we camped last time.(not in, beside)
AnswerID: 45265

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 14:01

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 14:01
Hey Betoota - bring your scuba gear, your camp is way underwater. Just drove out to the grid on western side and where the road branches to go left for the Inside Track and straight ahead for Big Red I can only just see the top of the wooden sign with the arrow pointing right for the Simpson Desert and looking south and west from there all that can be seen is water and a few tree tops. In the CP the water is up to the base of the BBQ area for the Brick Units - further round towards the Museum the water is really high and coming up the gully opposite the Tennis Courts, any higher and it will cut the road there. Some of the caravans around the edge of the Museum are underwater (not the CP's tho).
Just saw somthing for the first time in my life - baby Brolgas, two of them with Mum and Dad fishing along the edge of the water - they would be about 2 - 3 days old and look a bit stripey like young emus. What a thrill. Anyone else seen baby ones?
FollowupID: 307379

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 14:50

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 14:50
Hi Ruth, Re the baby Brolga's. No I haven't seen them before and would love to see them, but beautiful birds all the same.
I think it is incredible that these creatures know when it will rain and start breading right on time to ensure their speci's survival. Our experts with all their computer models etc can accurately predict weather for about a week in advance and from then on its fairly much educated guesswork but sub human speci's can make longer term projections with better accuracy.Dare to Lead not to Follow
FollowupID: 307382

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 18:10

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 18:10
Yes Ruth last year at Normanton but not that young.Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 307417

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:02

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:02
Ruth
Have been following your reports with great interest.
You have a lively way with words that paints a good picture of what is going on.
How much more rain / how much higher must the river rise before there is the risk of "A Pub With No Beer".
You alluded to business being slow in an earlier post ; where do we "Explor Ozzers" find you to spend our shekels ?
Keep up the reporting

John
FollowupID: 307444

Reply By: Mike - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 11:14

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 11:14
Good to hear the reports Ruth, hope you don't get too many of the critters in for coffee. As for the shed, you should be ashamed of yourself, a man's shed is his castle and should only be "cleaned" by him. Just joking of course.

Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 45266

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 09:59

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 09:59
You're awful Happy Trails, you know how big the shed is - but I didn't go in there yesterday. Ian got a new chain for his chansaw (the other one was 20 years old) on the mailplane so we went and desecrated a few trees from the bottom up (pruning you might call it) - such a good feeling going to the tip. We were a bit late yesterday and the tip was already on fire - missed a good freezer too.
FollowupID: 307478

Reply By: David O - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 23:21

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 23:21
wow interesting reports- how long does it take for the country to dry out after something like this?
AnswerID: 45361

Reply By: Russ - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 23:32

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 23:32
Ruth,
Me too, enjoying your descriptions of what is going on up there and watching with interest.

6 of us crossing simpson from west to east mid August, 1st time so interested in weather etc.

Thanks for your positngs.

RussT
AnswerID: 45365

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 10:13

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 10:13
You will have a great time, lucky things, I'll be too busy to go then. You can tell that we haven't got much to do in town at the moment by the amount of time I'm having fun on here with everyone.
FollowupID: 307481

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 23:54

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 23:54
great reports there Ruth keep em comin
when does the water get to a worrying level for you guys?
i imagine night time could put you under if a rise is fast?

havent seen baby brolgas since i was a farm kid?

as for some recipes im keen to chip in a few1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
2 awestruck kids (dads driving!)
AnswerID: 45370

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 10:20

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 10:20
Hey Toonfish, water today is 7.75 and steady (no wind) but in 1974 it got to 9 metres but a large bank has built on eastern edge to keep it out of town. The airport would be highest point I think. When it laps the front steps of my house I'll let you know - I'll be the one yelling.
I've been thinking about that good recipe for 'mu with the pepperberries I'm going to give that a try just as soon as I can catch me a 'mu. Don't anyone panic - my 'mu will come from a game wholesaler in Adelaide, when the trucks start running again. I've already put the recipes in a file but I think we should do it.
FollowupID: 307483

Sponsored Links