Arnhem Highway Roadtrains

Submitted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 18:06
ThreadID: 102284 Views:2486 Replies:8 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
There is up to about 30 road trains using the Arnhem Highway daily between Humpty Doo and the Mary River.I am one of them but also a caravan traveller between jobs.
With the increase of tourist and traffic comes the obvious, and that is frustration between both parties.
Most of the trucks on this road are transporting rock from the various Mount Bundy quarries to the new Inpex gas plant project in Darwin. These trucks are usually loaded heading west toward Darwin. The total gross weight of a triple road train is usually close to 140 ton, yes 140 ton. Take this weight at 100 kph and it doesn't take a lot of working out that when a car and caravan or a or whatever decides to brake and look at a Jabaru or Water buffalo or the Adelaide River crossing or whatever it is a disaster waiting to happen from both sides of the argument.
Only this week when I came over the Adelaide River Bridge loaded at 138.65 ton doing 95 kph with one of my work mates the opposite direction a camper van pulled out of the Jumping Crocodile Cruises area in front of him then a car and van pulled out in front of myself in my direction with about 400 meters to spare.
I am just pointing this out from both sides of the fence because we all don't want to see any accidents.
I personally would prefer to be touring but after spending 3 months in the Cape last year it is time to refill the bank account.
Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Terry W4 - Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 18:24

Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 18:24
Always worth listening to the pros and what they face. Keep wits about you and use you UHF.
AnswerID: 511328

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 09:30

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 09:30
Sure is, and it's a nasty piece of road badly in need of repair. Sadly with the upcoming tourist season I think there are going to be some serious events.
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 789576

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 20:30

Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 20:30
Nicely put BD.
Some people don't think or can't grasp, weight and velocity. I am sure they drive thinking that every other vehicle, whatever size, stops in the same distance as does their own.
AnswerID: 511334

Reply By: Idler Chris - Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 20:35

Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 20:35
Never driven a truck but you do not need to many brains to know the outcome of your 3t fourby hitting a 140t (even the normal tri-axle at 40t+) truck. No point being in the right if your dead. 99% of truckies are hard workers trying to provide for their families. For the 1% who are cowboys these are usually the guys that have the accidents, give then a wide berth you don't want them taking you with them.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 511335

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 09:28

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 09:28
I agree, but if 1 % of truck drivers are cowboys then 10 % of the 4x4 are idiots = I've seen a lot more stupid things done by 4x4 drivers than by truck drives. Some of these are towing vans but certainly not all.
If you tow a van and you are not sitting close to the speed limit and there aren't frequent over taking lanes then PULL OVER REGULARLY!
It's a pain in the but I know, but you owe it to other motorists.

Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 789574

Follow Up By: SDG - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 15:59

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 15:59
Seen more idiots taking chances overtaking caravans who ARE travelling at the speed limit. For some reason they think that they need to be in front.
FollowupID: 789602

Reply By: fisherPete - Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 21:54

Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 21:54
I watched a car cut in front of a semi with no more then a metre to spare. Poor truckie most likely then flat spotted his tyres advoiding a rear ender. I don't know where this idiot was hiding when brains where handed out.

Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 511344

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 08:18

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 08:18
In our travels we always have the radio on 40 and find truckies very obliging. I try to call them around me when they come up behind me. When towing a van it helps to hear on the radio that a wide load is coming and have time to pull over.

I always try to allow trucks the freedom of the road as they are earning a living while I am just spending savings.

I am amazed at times how some motorists seem situation unaware of what is happening or about to happen and too often find them cutting off trucks (and vans for that matter) braking safety distance. I find it annoying when towing that I have left a good safety gap to have someone cut in and give me no room for emergency braking. It must be very frustrating for a road train to have vehicles cut in front of with disregard for safety.

Alan
AnswerID: 511357

Reply By: Skulldug - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 10:21

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 10:21
Burnt Damper,

A lot of people will keep out of this but, I cant let it go without comment. You have a responsibility to the conditions. If you are aware of a potential hazard, including an intersection frequented by tourists who may nut understand the physics of big trucks, you have a responsibility to slow down.

Skull
AnswerID: 511369

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 13:14

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 13:14
Your a brave man Skull.......LOL
Very true though!
FollowupID: 789589

Follow Up By: Burnt Damper - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 15:42

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 15:42
See what I mean, you are right Hairy he is a brave man. So let's go through this slowly I put this article on here for people that may be in the area to know what is going on.
But there is always one.
Skull this time you are very close to being that one. Let's put it this way just for you I have averaged 200,000km plus per year for 30 plus years covering all over Australia and then you poke your head out of let's say a parking area near Lightning Ridge ( that's if YOU know were that is) I am supposed to remember just for you that this particular area is frequented by tourist at a given time each year. I don't think that is going to happen by all truck drivers all year long.
I am not real good at physics Skull but I do know common sense. Sorry pull your head in and think the other way around. It could save your own life one day. Over the years I have had the misfortune of pulling people out of accidents both dead and alive and in some cases commonsense and patience could have saved lives.
To the rest of the people thanks for reading article and safe travels.
FollowupID: 789599

Follow Up By: Skulldug - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 16:47

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 16:47
BD,

You are an accident waiting to happen. If you worked in any other industry, you would be roped in.

Skull
FollowupID: 789605

Follow Up By: Burnt Damper - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:23

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:23
I am also a church going man Skull, I certainly hope I don't have to pick up your pieces one day.
If I worked in your industry I probably would be your boss. You sound like you come from the mining industry.
FollowupID: 789610

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 18:01

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 18:01
Hi Skulldug,
I think you may have misinterpreted what he is saying in that people have pulled out in front of him and another, now if this is correct, whether it be a 140T Road train or me in my 4by then a serious accident is pending but in my 4by I have more of a chance to exercise collision avoidance.

It is an offence to enter a roadway withoout giving way to any / all traffic on the road you are intending to enter. But being right isn't much consolation to Burnt Damper if he has to try and apply first aid or just see the remnants of mangled bodies

I don't think for a minute that Burnt Damper would be oblivious to identifying other road users at intersections as he sounds like a very professional operator who is trying to get a message out there to us holidayers to exercise more caution.

Just trying to head off something that I think has been misinterpreted but I think that we all need to be vigilant in our travels especially when big rigs are involved.

cheers
FollowupID: 789615

Follow Up By: Burnt Damper - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 18:26

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 18:26
Thank you Cookie. I was just trying to spread the word so to speak, not start an argument.
I will be back out there in 12 hours time.
FollowupID: 789617

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 18:31

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 18:31
Too easy - stay safe and Thanks for looking out for your fellow man

cheers
FollowupID: 789618

Reply By: Tony B3 - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 12:04

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 12:04
Thanks for the heads up Burnt Damper about the amount of road trains on this section of road.
keep it safe all.
AnswerID: 511374

Reply By: garrycol - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:30

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:30
I really do not disagree with anything that has been said in this thread. However it is a shame that in addition to some car drivers many truck drivers do not seem to understand the breaking capabilities of their 140t rig and sit on the bumper of the vehicle in front - never able to stop if the better braking car in front stopped suddenly.

Truck drivers constantly complain about cars taking up their braking distance but it would seem truckies using that space themselves is just as much an issue.

Garry
AnswerID: 511396

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 19:09

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 19:09
I have to agree that there are truckies who do not give a damn about others and I have had my entire family in the car with a truck right up my clacker, my wife was driving and it was a wet dreary night and if she had braked we would not be here today. I have learn't that if you take their number you can report them to the Dept of Transport who will give them a very hard time.

But then again they wouldn't be on here giving us the heads up either and I think we should embrace the responsible ones that come on here to alert us to extra activity in certain areas.

cheers
FollowupID: 789624

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 19:13

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 19:13
I wasnt going to say much on here .But my heckles just got raised.After 40 odd years of of driving heavy rigs about Oz I reckon I have seen a bit more n most. And wot of I have seen more n most a stupidly huge amount of a lack of common sense...mostly be flatheaded narrowminded idiots in cars...some with trailers etc and a few truckies as well. Fortunately for all of us the truckie contingent is a damn small minority that cause the most damage. so to the 1 (and almost 2) posters on here that thinks there self rightous attitude overides any common sense at all...have a look about and check out how many truck drivers are actually doing the right thing and those that arent...as well as other road users as well. Remember this....those that you see doing stupidity are actaually a minority in the overall scheme of things....even tho they cause the most havoc. I hope I never come across the doubting persons on here who have negatives about what the original poster was saying....coz unfortunately they fit into the dangerous minority IMO !!!

RANT OVER...now to git back up there behind the wheel n earn my living.
Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 789625

Follow Up By: Burnt Damper - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 20:03

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 20:03
Thanks Keith,
My intentions were good they just got a little bit of track there by the look of it. Give me a yell if you are up Darwin way this year. Keep it safe.
Geordie
FollowupID: 789628

Sponsored Links