Diamantina Developmental Road in Sept

Submitted: Monday, May 20, 2013 at 17:43
ThreadID: 102318 Views:1708 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I know that,roads change a lot up that way but can anyone provide a general idea of the condition of the Diamantina Dev. Road from Bedourie to Windorah around September? Also - when do the floods tend to hit up that way (and l realise it is after there is heavy rain before someone gives that reply).
Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wayne B - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 21:00

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 21:00
Hey garytee
We travelled from Windorah to Birdsville for the races around then. Towing a 18ft caravan. The road was being graded , road was good. Drive to conditions.
AnswerID: 511470

Reply By: Barbera72 - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 21:47

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 21:47
The Diamantina Dev. Rd from Bedourie to the Birdsville Dev. Rd turnoff is usually fine in September to all vehicles. From the Birdsville turnoff to Windorah is bitumen. In flood seasons (if floods are going to happen) you will find accurate road reports.
AnswerID: 511476

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 12:01

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 12:01
Gary,

There's been a fair bit of work done on that road over the years, so it's usually in good condition. However this year, as there's been so many cattle being relocated, it may have suffered somewhat. I'd be surprised if the graders aren't "on the job" again before September. Otherwise just drive to conditions.

Re flooding, it is usually after good summer rains, and persists down through the systems(Cooper's Creek, Diamantina and Georgina) from say, January to April. As the flood waters are slow moving, the roads to the north can be open, while around Birdsville, it's no go.

A query on this site closer to the time will give you the most up to date info,

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 511512

Sponsored Links