Sports Bras on the CSR

Submitted: Monday, May 20, 2013 at 21:35
ThreadID: 102324 Views:2573 Replies:3 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Concerning all manner of suspension there's some terrible track from well 18 past 19 and on to Savory creek. Undulating and awkward so cars and other items tend to bounce around. And the blokes cop it too. Maybe we need the belly bra?
On a more serious note out of 11 vehicles in two days from well 18 to Georgia Bore, one had a flat battery so was tagging along with another group. One with a cracked coil spring and two trailers with broken leaves in their springs. And then the rain came on the 11th May. Great news for climbing dunes as the sand is packed hard. But the claypans were deadly. Vehicles bogged at 45 degrees and left overnight in the mud and bullbars damaged in trying to snatch others out.
Thanks to cyclone Rusty in early March the CSR from wells 5 to 22 is in full bloom and some wells the water is only 2 or 3m down. What a trip..... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 21:55

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 21:55
How about a blog and some photos mate.

Sounds like a great trip. Can't wait to get out there.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 511478

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 22:41

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 22:41
Ah Mick. Long story but if you have a grappling hook handy send it to the bottom of Well 6 and fish out the bucket!!! Cable snapped didn't it!! And see below re corros at 33 vs 22................ W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 789734

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 22:01

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 22:01
Hi Warrie

Thanks for the update. Good to hear parts of the CSR are greening up, will be even more spectacular in a month or two. Its always a pleasant surprise when coming over a dune and trying to guess the predominate colour of the flowers in the next dune valley.

That's a fair bit of vehicle carnage you've listed there - either being track induced (cracked ...) or people induced (bullbars damaged ...)

cheers

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 511479

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 22:37

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 22:37
Oh did I mention the scratchy branches. There was a Mitsubishi Canter with wheel marks as wide as the track who must have copped a hammering from the zillion and one dead trees. Also the corrugations from well 21 to 22 were awful. Flat and straight section of track and bra friendly but what a hammering. But as bad as near well 33?? Over to Mick for a comparison.......W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 789733

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 23:38

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 23:38
Mud, dust, dirt, sand, over grown trees and some water plus a few corrugations, Add a few busted bits and it sounds like situation normal all round :)

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 789739

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 23:05

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 23:05
Sounds like fun. I hope we get a challenging drive when we go that way.

What on earth are trailers with leaf springs doing on that track. And more the fools using bullbars as recovery points.

Takes all kinds I suppose.

Phil
AnswerID: 511488

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 20:50

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 20:50
Phil,
You are right there mate... spot on.

John
FollowupID: 789797

Follow Up By: Dingojim - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 05:36

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 05:36
Methinks the learning curve is still a straight line. Bugger when the only way you can get experience is by making the mistakes first. Keep smiling coz pessimists founder.
FollowupID: 789815

Follow Up By: Member - Neil L1 - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 10:51

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 10:51
Can I ask what the problem with leaf springs on trailers is? All utes and 70 series Landcruisers have leaf springs on the rear. I would suspect that overloading and perhaps speed/tyre pressures etc would all have some bearing on any spring/suspension failure including coils. I am interested because I am taking my leaf sprung off road camper on the Canning next month.

Neil
FollowupID: 789837

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 10:57

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 10:57
I was led to believe years ago that they can break on badly corrugated roads. We broke ours on our old wind up Chesney and I never questioned it. If I am wrong so be it.

Phil
FollowupID: 789839

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 12:14

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 12:14
I agree with Phil - they are more likely to break on corrugated roads - did that a few times myself in years gone by. I used to carry a spare main leaf. Best way I found to prevent it is to keep the tyre pressures as low as possible on the trailer so the tyres absorb the shock from the corrugations - puts less stress on the suspension.

Some quality offroad campers (eg Adventure, Trakshak) still use leaf springs but they also have a strong axle and bearings.

There will always be the weakest link - I've seen people fit heavier leaf springs only to discover the axle is now the weakest link and break that instead.
FollowupID: 789844

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 13:11

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 13:11
Ain't that the truth. Worked over the motor in the Kingswood. Broke a few uni joints. Then told that the tailshaft should be upgraded to the 68 350 Monaro shaft. Did that and broke the old Kingswood gearbox. Put the M34 box in and all was fine after we got a bigger clutch.

We are looking at bigger exhaust for the 100 series and may a chip. But have been warned that this may lead to transmission issues. So we are still thinking off it and leaving well enough alone. Still thinking!!!

Phil
FollowupID: 789848

Follow Up By: Member - Neil L1 - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 17:36

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 17:36
So is it generally the main leaf that goes? I just need to know which spares to take with me. I have got spare bearings and U bolts.

Thanks

Neil
FollowupID: 789884

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 18:22

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 18:22
Gday Neil,

Might be any of the upper leafs that break. But the main leaf locates the axle so is the most important, and a main leaf will get you out of trouble. Leaf springs can be very heavy, which is why I just carried a main leaf - from memory it might cost about $50 for a spare main leaf.

But there are other ways of fixing broken leaf springs. Some people just carry a "spring clamp" which is two pieces of leaf spring and a clamp that goes around them. Some people can weld and reinforce the break - takes a lot of patience and skill and special welding rods. Also if the centre pin is centrally located in a leaf, you can reverse the broken main leaf so at least the axle is correctly aligned. But most vehicles have the centre pin offset (usually towards the shackle from memory). My recollection is that most trailer springs have the pin central, but you'd have to check.

The other breakage I've had was the front pin on a greasable shackle on a Landcruiser. Fortunately I carried a spare, but I could have substituted another bolt or welded up the broken pin. I've also seen the spring hangers rip from the chassis. So bush welding skills can come in handy.

There are other points to leaf springs - check the U-Bolts for tightness before you leave home and check occasionally while you're away. The centre pins can break as well - causes the trailer or vehicle to "crab", so I carried them spare as well.

But coil springs can break too. I can think of 3 instances I personally know of in the past 10 years - one guy had to wait for a new 105series spring to be flown to Andado Station before attempting the Madigan Line. Another was stuck at Oodnadatta after simply breaking an 80series rear spring on the Oodnadatta track. And the third was a mate's 79series which broke the lower part of the front coil - picked up by a mechanic when the vehicle was serviced - the break had happened sometime earlier.

As far as trailers and the Canning....in my opinion it isn't worth the stress on the trailer or the vehicle. I'll leave the Tvan at home when we go again in August.
FollowupID: 789892

Follow Up By: Member - Neil L1 - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 20:25

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 20:25
Thanks heaps Phil, that's really helpful information.
regards

Neil
FollowupID: 789903

Sponsored Links