Tanami Fuel Supplies

Hi All,

Just wanting to get some info about diesel availability across the Tanami.

Having a Pajero means we don't have the best range so will be taking a couple of jerry cans with us. I was reading a blog from last year and it indicated that Yuendumu was in danger of not being reliable due to mismanagement, I was hoping to restock here so any info will be greatly appreciated. Also is Billiluna a reliable source?

Just wanting to be safe rather than sorry because as I work it out, 88ltrs in the tank plus 2 x 20ltrs = 128ltrs @ 14L/100km (guys on the blog got 13.5L/100km from there Paj) gives me a range of 914kms.

Also could do a small top-up at Tilmouth Roadhouse if needed. Worst case scenario would be Tilmouth to Billiluna which is 699kms.

Thanks in advance, Lloyd
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 21:52

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 21:52
Lloyd,

Top up at Tilmouth. Mate it's only 103 km from Tilmouth to Yuendumu so nothing is really lost. Billiluna has a good supply but it always pays to ring as the store service hours can be affected by many variables. Your other option is Balgo which is a fraction out of the way but tends to be more regular and has more to see. Your fuel Calcs would almost have you at Halls with your current fuel load. If you could squeeze another 20 litres of motion lotion in somewhere for safetys sake, you'd make it all the way through to Halls.

Safe Travels

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 511477

Reply By: cookie1 - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 22:49

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 22:49
We came back from the Canning down the Tanami about this time last year, pulled into Yuendemu but turned around and left - man o' man, best bet is top up @ Tilmouth and you should have no problems getting to Billiluna - they are shut between about 12 and 2pm and you can only buy in 20L lots (if I remember correctly).

The road was in pretty good condition and it looked like they were about to put down more bitumen, watch out for the trucks though - they will let you pass when it's safe they were great.

cheers
AnswerID: 511485

Sponsored Links