Lawn Hill to Lorella Springs and then East

Submitted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 00:51
ThreadID: 102328 Views:3849 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We will be travelling to Lawn Hill Gorge, then Lorella Springs and then east to Cape York in June. Just wondering which routes we should take.

For Lawn Hill to Lorella Springs, Google maps is giving me either Barkly Hwy / Tablelands Hwy (1100km), or Carpentaria Hwy / National Hwy 1 (680km). Then heading from Lorella Springs to Normanton, it suggests we go via Barkly Hwy, which seems the long way around. This is a bit confusing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as to which routes we should take.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Greg H (NT) - Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 07:35

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 07:35
Where are you coming from?
Would't it be best to go to Lorella Springs first, Lawn Hill, then across to the Cape.

Greg

Tomorrow is here!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 511496

Follow Up By: jdpatrol - Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 08:14

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 08:14
Hi Greg, coming up the Birdsville Track from Adelaide, then through Mt Isa. Yeah, could go to Lorella first - if so, can we take Carpentaria Hwy / National Hwy 1 back to Lawn Hill , and how's the route from Lawn Hill to Normanton via Burketown, Savannah Way etc. Cheers
FollowupID: 789746

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 09:53

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 09:53
The much shorter way would be via the Savannah Way from Borrolloola to HellsGate etc.

Seeing you are going to Lorella Springs you must be prepared for a rotten road anyway , because the road from Borroloola to Lorella is pretty bad most of the time, and the track in from the Savannah Way to Lorella is usually even worse, unless there has been a BIG change since I was there a couple of years ago.
IMHO a good way to go is North from Lawn Hill through the station to join the Savannah way west of Doomagee, then Savannah Way to Borroloola, and Lorella Springs. You can please yourself how to return.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 511505

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 15:47

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 15:47
To save back tracking I'd go from Mt Isa, through Camooweal to the Barkly Roadhouse and up to the Cape Crawford RH then on to Lorella Springs.

From Lorella Springs, head back to Borroloola and head East towards Burketown and down to Lawn Hill.

From Lawn Hill you could go to the Burke and Wills RH then up to Normanton/Karumba and East.

Steve
AnswerID: 511522

Reply By: rumpig - Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 17:25

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 17:25
if it was me doing the trip i'd head to Lorella Springs first and then along the Savanah Way to Lawn Hill via Kingfisher Camp after that, then on to the Cape from there. if time wasn't a major issue, i'd head up to Mataranka first and come down to Lorella Springs from that direction, as there's some beautiful places to stop in at and see along the way from there. we did it in the opposite direction to what i've just said, but i really enjoyed the drive from Lawn Hill to Mataranka along the Savanah Way, as the scenery was always changing and we saw some beautiful places along the way.
AnswerID: 511525

Sponsored Links